ilyad's JBJ build

+1 lil fish

btw, I love your urchin!

Thanks Live Rock... My gf spotted him at the fish store, and after I did a little research, I decided to grab him, its amazing, I love it too.... will def recommend an urchin to anyone with a tank. My half moon rock is really porous and the snails didnt feel like eating the algae off of it, he did a good job taking care of that! Plus, its almost like a coral, but it moves around all the time, and is friendly :D

Very nice. :D

I kinda want to get one of those urchin, but... Does your's have a taste for corallin??

Well, Im not sure... I dont have much of it in my tank yet, so Im not sure if he's eating it up or not... But I can say that some that I do have has seeded onto other rocks and is slowly spreading. So if anything, its growing faster than he can eat it. Plus, like my buddy once said, the first few months you cant wait to get coralline algae then you dread having to scrape it off 1/8 of an in every 3rd week so you can see into your tank. As far as Im concerned, he can help me keep that in check... LOL:mrgreen:

My short spine urchin looooves corraline algae. But he will only eat it off the rocks not the glass..go figure.

Here's some more updates of the tank guys

My urchin cruising around the tank

IMG_1388.jpg

Here he is on my Candy Cane bonsai tree
IMG_1393.jpg

The Candy Cane is taking off in its new place
IMG_1410.jpg

Then I got these guys as my holiday present from my parents

A ricodea mushroom (actually a pair :Cheers:)
IMG_1422.jpg

Some amazing colors
IMG_1423.jpg

The Ric's in their new spot
IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

I also got a frogspawn as a present
IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

Its mouth's
IMG_1430.jpg

The frogspawn in its new place
IMG_1444.jpg

And in the blue light
IMG_1445.jpg

The new guys are neon!!!

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

Some cool fancy shots of the tank while playing with the perspective

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

And then feeding time

IMG_1475.jpg

And its crazy in the blue

IMG_1473.jpg

And lastly tonight I checked out a new fish store by my house and got one of these guys

A coco worm
IMG_1480.jpg

And him out and about
IMG_1486.jpg

A shout out to the guys at Coral Collection because I got into a discussion with the guy about whether my tank could sustain SPS's and he gave me a frag of a Montipora coral for free to see how it weathers:mrgreen:

Initially I wasnt a big fan of these corals, but seeing it under the LED's and under the moonlights, it is awesome!!!

Anyways, here is the free frag in its new place
IMG_1481.jpg

I'll get a better picture of that guy later.

I really hope so too because I do want to keep SPS's in the tank, more specifically, the chalice... I absolutely love the colors those guys have.

As long as your keep your water stable, you'll do fine. Also, chalices are lps's, so they're a lil easier that sps's. :)

Yeah I know, the reason he traded that was because the shrimp was confirmed to eat Apteisa. Lucky for me the fish store I go to, doesnt feed their pep shrimps anything but apteisa so when you take them home, they go bonkers for that stuff.

Plus it's good reef karma. Sgt Pepper is doing great btw. He came out and crawled on my land last weekend while I was cleaning the tank. He has been a great addition, thanks :)

Plus it's good reef karma. Sgt Pepper is doing great btw. He came out and crawled on my land last weekend while I was cleaning the tank. He has been a great addition, thanks :)

Glad to hear that!! He used to hop on my hand every time I put it in the tank. The first few times it startled me!! Lol then I got used to him sneaking up on me every time

Here is the next update as of right now...

The monti when I first got it (about 2 weeks ago)
IMG_1481.jpg

Update
IMG_1509.jpg

IMG_1526.jpg

My kitty watching the tank
IMG_1525.jpg

I bought 2 small acro frags from a local reefer at $5 each

the green slimer
IMG_1529.jpg

Slimer in the blue
IMG_1527.jpg

And the tri-color acro
IMG_1530.jpg

the tri-color in blue
IMG_1528.jpg

Very nice pieces...and that monti is growing quick. :)

Thank you! And yea, things seem to be growing like wildfire in this tank. The monti grew that much in about a week maybe 2 tops. I had 2 polys of captain americas which I got right after thanks giving, and now there are 3 polys and 2 little ones starting to grow. And the duncans started with 3 injured heads and now have two new smaller ones at the base and 2 other ones that are just starting to protrude.

NIce additions

Thank you:^:

$5?!?!! wish my local reefers sold their sps for that cheap :[

Yeah, the guy has a nice tank with a few SPS's... his green slimer is huge! Over 10 lbs now... and it basically came loose from the rock work, hit other corals on the way down and broke those too. So he had to cut down the acros a lot so he can stick it back to the rocks.. when I went, I was expecting little chipped pieces for $5, but the frags were huge! This one is almost 3 in tall:shock:

Hey guys,

Its time for a little update...

After I bought the two Acro's and since I was on break from grad school, I decided to redo my aquascape once more...

I moved the rocks so that the rock with the mushrooms is all the way on the bottom, and turned the other rocks to give a little bit more surface area to allow for more corals in the future. I also secured the Acros in place and created a lot more caves than before (in preparation for more fish in the future)

Here is the end result,

The FTS
IMG_1536.jpg

And some close ups:

You can see that I gave the Captain America's its own dedicated rock so that it can grow out and be fragged later without spreading to the main rock work
IMG_1537.jpg

The Monti and the Tri Color
IMG_1538.jpg

Caves and Mushrooms
IMG_1539.jpg

Another project I took on is fragging my zoa colony because after a lot of research and inspection it seemed that the frag rock they were on made it difficult for them to spread out and grow (the zoa's would be stuck in the grooves of the rock and when new polyps would grow, they would either die off, or choke out the older ones)

You can see the grooves in this picture
IMG_1541.jpg

WARNING: Fragging Zoa's could be extremely dangerous because of the polytoxin they release, so if you take on the challenge, make sure to wear gloves and protective eye wear (in my pictures you dont see the later, but I had the glasses)...

The tools
IMG_1556.jpg

Close Up
IMG_1558.jpg

What we have: eye protection, gloves, 2 tubs, hammer, nail, a blade, and glue

The Colony
IMG_1557.jpg

Sorry there arent pictures of the fragging process, but I didnt want to get any polytoxin on my phone or anywhere else for that matter, so I did not take pictures during the fragging process. Basically, I put the nail in between the zoa polyps and hammered down slowly until the rock chipped apart, then I used the blade to cut any polyps that were not loose.

Here is the end result
IMG_1566.jpg

Some Close Ups
IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

I used the glue to fold over and attach any of the polpys that were not attached to the rock and but just attached through the tissue to other polyps

You let the frags sit in the container for about 15 minutes so they can stop releasing any polytoxins, then move it to another container and do the same. Do this with the water from the tank to minimize stress on the polyps
IMG_1559.jpg

Keep in mind, that you still want to keep your gloves on until you've completely finished moving the frags into the 2nd container (I took pictures here because I took one glove, but still used only one hand with the glove to move them). While the frags are resting in their 2nd container, clean up the whole area and rinse off any tools thoroughly. Polytoxin is water soluble, so it will wash away, but just as a precaution, do not reuse the gloves, or the tubberware (you can save the tubs for future fragging).

Ok, lets continue...

I went ahead and pulled out the rock that I was going to glue my frags to...
IMG_1567.jpg

The frags glued to the rock
IMG_1569.jpg

Some Close Ups
IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

And then back in the tank
IMG_1572.jpg

The next day the polyps started to open up
IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

It really seems like the problem was that the polyps were crammed because the next day the polyps that were not open for a week opened up the next day

And here is an update on my Duncan which is growing new babies
IMG_1574.jpg

And the other heads are just starting to do the same, in a little there should be a ton of new heads :mrgreen:
IMG_1575.jpg

Back