im scare!!!

hplexx

Reefing newb
hello thank's for all the help im am learning alot hear Thank's all I have a nother question!!!

i brogth some demsels
like this

http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/11...ria.com/images/products/bigimage/lg_70145.jpg

and now i have a month with them and they looking like this

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMiUek...tolls.org/images/nwhi2004/1007/damselfish.jpg

is that normal or maybe it's my water i have a tang and a clow fish they seem ok .... yust the demsels seem changing color!! from black 2 white

I had three dominoes like that after 3 months of having them they turned grey. Talking to my friend he said after they get older they tend to change or when they are are stressed they do that. Not sure how good of a source he is. I have since gave them away to a friend so I can't tell you if they are the same way or not.

As long as the fish are not showing any signs of distress, are eating well, and look ok except for color, then, I would not worry at this point. Is the change in color all the time, or, just at certain times. explain. If all is well except color then I would say either the fish are stressed, or, are displaying altered color for a reason, as these fish are very aggressive and should only be kept singlely, or in mated pairs as they grow older. keep us posted and unless the fish display some signs of distress other than color change, I would not worry at this time.

yea yust color they open ther mout alot one of them is getting very white

they eat well every day

my salinity is 1.026 1.025 i cant get it down i change water everyday trying to change it down water with out salt yust a bucket everyday and still my
salinity is like that you's think that would be the problem

thank's!!! alot!!!

Finally Dameselfish colours sometimes fade, which may be a response that helps the fish to blend in more effectively with the surroundings, or it may indicate undue stress in captivity. Salinity could be the problem, if you are testing correctly. if you are using a hydrometer remember to check the calibration temp. of the unit and adjust for temperature to get the correct salinity reading. if you are using one of the swing arm salinity testers, throw it away and use a floating glass hydrometer. You did not say what your water parameters were. i.e. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium, ph, alkalinity, and temperature. Provide additional information and we may be better able to help. keep us posted.

make sure your hydrometer is right i had one that always read at 1.021 when really it was 1.025 so i boght a instant ocean swing arm and a floatig glass one the swing arm one is right every time i use it but im having trouble with the flaoting glass one it reads at 1.017 hey jhnrb is there anything your supposed to do to it to make it work right or do i have a defective one anyway if you can i would buy both just to make sure also your lfs (live fish store) will check it for just bring in a cup worth of water thats how i found out my fisrt sea chem swing arm was junk good luck with the fish

You need to check and see what temperature the floating hydrometer was calibrated at and make a temperature adjustment to get the correct reading.

its a aquatic gardens brand the only one petco sold it dosnt have a temp to check at its also a thermometer and that is giving me the wrong temp it always says 86 deg can you suggest a better brand floating hydrometer and maybee a place to get the beat price sorry hplexx not trying to take over your thead but maybe you can get ideas to

Normally a thumb of rule to adjustment on a floating hydrometer is to add .002 to the result at apprx. 77 degrees temp. Im reluctant to put this out as although the number is small it is large where salinity is concerned. you really need to research your hydrometer and see what temp. it was calibrated at(most likely 60 degrees F.). The manufacturer can advise you on the adjustment at certain temperatures. acturally I would recommend to just go to a refractometer with auto temp adjustment. cost a little more but well worth it. takes out the guess work. good luck. keep us posted.

Last edited:
Back