In Laws just suprised us with a new 75 gallon tank and stand, Got a few Questions

Pheeshes

Reefing newb
So, my in-laws were out Christmas shopping for the kids and my wife and i ate lunch with them. we had asked them for a stand for the 55 we were going to setup. so, we go to look at the stands and because of a big sale there it was 55 dollars more to get us a stand and a 75 gallon tank and stuff. than to just get the stand.
:^:
anyway, on to my questions. the wife got to pick the stand since i got the tank. there isn't enough room under it for a sump/refuge. what is the best option other than a sump/refuge. a HOB refuge is what we're looking at now(good brand/size?) or something else? my wife also finally agreed to the T5 lights and that isn't really a question, but just wanted to share that too. thanks guys i'm sure i'll have more questions later.

Can I borrow your in-laws?
post a pic of your tank and stand.Some body may be able of help you set up a under-stand sump.

we're going to pick it up in a couple of days. we had just gotten back from Atlanta (wife's business trip) and i'll need to borrow my dad's truck and probably either a buddy or my dad to carry the tank and stand into the house. i'll post as many pics as i can then.

I remembered i wanted to ask about the t5 lights will the "48 nova extreme 216 watt be enough for the tank?

I'm having REALLY good luck with one of these units. I am using the 24" unit on my little tank, but I don't see why the 48" wouldn't be just as nice. You can get it with a remote control timer which is REALLY REALLY cool. Set the actinics--set the daylights--set the moonlights--forget about it.

Here is the one with the remote control unit.
Catalina Aquarium

They DO have individual reflectors--a very nice feature that makes excellent use of the light. It's best to call and talk to Jim. He may give you a deal if you call in person instead of whipping the credit card out and just doing it online. He sold my light to me for about $100 off what he had it advertised on the web.

I really have a hard time believing you can't get a sump under the stand of a 75g tank. :shock: All ya need is a little 15 or 20g tank for the sump.

I'd do a refugium instead of just a sump. And use powerheads in the tank for circulation. You don't want water ripping through your refugium at 500GPH.

If you insist on a HOB refugium, there are good deals on ebay sometimes. I'm using this one on my 30g tank. It just barely fits. I think this would be marginal for a 75g tank. It could work, if your fish load is low.
CPR Aquatics AquaFuge 2 Large PS Refugium with Protein Skimmer

Here is a pic of it:
CPR AQUATIC, INC - AQUAFUGE ™ PS

Prices have exploded on refugiums lately. I paid like $160 for that refugium 2 months ago. Must be the cost of the acrylic.

On a 75,I would go with the 432 watt fixture,Which is what I'm running on my 75.
Just get the newest model that has the individual reflectors.

well, when i looked at it in the store it didn't look like enough room. i'm going to measure it when we get it here and i'll report the size and see what we can do. the problem looked to me that the wasn't a tall enough space. the area is the whole width of the base, so about 48 inches plus a couple, but there was a shelf on the bottom then the cabinet and drawers on top. so at the store i was looking and a 20 gallon tall and it either wouldn't fit or would fit with no room to get anything in or out of it.

If you're not going to do a sump, you'll need a HOB skimmer. The best HOB skimmers are Coralife Super Skimmers, Aqua C Remora Pro, and Octopus brand.

we're going to use a skimmer of some kind. when i get it home i'm going to measure and get the dimensions underneath and look at my options. if the sump doesn't work out i'll probably go with the octopus or the coralife. if the sump doesn't work out am i best of to run a HOB refugium in addition to the skimmer?

A HOB fuge and a skimmer would work great.All you will need is a couple powerheads for added water movement.

The Catalina and Nova Extreme Pro T5 fixture would be good choices.There affordable(as far as reef lighting goes)and both have individual reflectors.An Octopus HOB skimmer would also be my choice for skimmer.

If you decide to go with the 216w Nova,you can still keep many corals.I just feel IR will allow you to be unlimited.

Individual reflectors doubles the light output of T5 bulbs.Half of the bulb that is not facing downwards is reflected back into the aquarium.

Reefs probably got the link,But I'd check into the Nova Extreme Pro fixtures.
They have the individual reflectors.

go for the one's that have the bulbs included. even if it's a little higher. it will set you back another 120 or so plus shipping if they don't have bulbs.

I may stick with one of the less expensive ones and be a little limited, unless i can work some serious magic convincing my wife. thanks guys. we're hopefully picking up the tank tonight or tomorrow.

One more question. if there isn't enough room for the skimmer but there is room for a 'fuge under the tank is there a skimmer that can have a pick up in the sump and the rest of the skimmer somewhere else? either behind the stand or next to the sump? i still haven't had a chance to measure or anything.

Also the fish store guys said that this stand couldn't have a sump. is this probably because or space or could there be another reason. the only other one i could think of w ould be if the floor of the cabinet wouldn't hold one, but then i could either support the floor or cut a hole in the floor of he cabinet for the sump and just put the fuge right on the floor

Back