Inexperienced LFS Employee Strikes AGAIN grrrr

KarenJax

Certified Master Stylist
This is a crosspost by permission of a friend on another forum. It really really upset me

ok, so i was at my LFS today cuzz they had a big sale on EVERYTHING, anyways there was this guy that got a 75g tank + stand, 108w T-5, 2 Live rocks maybe 12x5x8in each, and about 6 SPS, 3 LPS, 2 anemones, and 4 mandarin (wild), 6 Moorish Idols, 1 green moray, 1 snowflake, and no clean up crew, and he was asking the guy how to mix saltwater, and he got a small bag of red sea, and 5 -6g jugs of LFS NSW.

he was also asking if he could feed them goldfish flakes....

I'm sorry to say if those fish made it home, and they got the tank set up, they will not last long, especially because he forgot a heater...

those fish where doomed as soon as they got in those bags, also they decided they didn't want the yellow tang in one of the bags because his wife didn't like the big black eyes....

I was kinda pissed off about the whole thing...

Wow i am just amazed at how important it is to make a dollar:dunno:. As soon as that tank cycles all fish are doomed, not to mention the anemonie:censored::pissed:

I've said it once and I'll say it again they will sell you anything to make a buc ethical or not.but look on the bright side karen, once all he's shit die's and "WIFE" tell's him what a stupid idea he had something tell's me you'll be upgradeing really REALLY cheap, if I were you I'd be watching CL for this guy...

Last edited:
Most definitely ridiculous, a great thing to do would be to smear the LFS name far and wide, report them for unethical treatment, etc.

I really can't believe that people don't research this stuff first. I would never plop down several hundred if not thousands of dollars on something that I don't know anything about. That is just the height of stupidity.

I really can't believe that people don't research this stuff first. I would never plop down several hundred if not thousands of dollars on something that I don't know anything about. That is just the height of stupidity.

Some people have more money than they need, apparently!

Its sad really. I know the LFS where I ordered my tank wouldn't even sell me live rock until my tank came in. He said it, I didn't ask. LOL I figured there wasn't a point to get the live rock until I had the tank set up. :)

Why didn't the person say something rather than sit there and let it happen?..At some point, the person witnessing it needs to take a little responsibility. Obviously the guy was new, maybe try to help him out, nobody wants to make that type of mistake.

I've told dozens of people while I'm standing in the LFS..."You don't want to buy that". Might not be any of my business, but it generally starts a conversation, and who knows later on down the line, they may do the same thing for another newb.

Gotta look out for your neighbor a little bit.

PRC yea I know what you mean. I was looking at the fish in Petco, just looking, when I started a conversation with someone else who was looking. They didn't have their tank set up yet. I did mention how expensive and time consuming this hobby can be, they said that it was good to know and went and looked at the freshwater fish.

PRC some people aren't assertive like that. Even though I'm a noob at this I would have screamed FOUL in a heartbeat. But I wasn't there. In a later post he wrote that there were 20 employees and 40-60 customers. Point-n-bag :(

This is awful. I guess Im one of those bleeding heart types that view fish as living things, like dogs and cats and it breaks my heart to read this. I too would have said something had I been at that store and saw what was happening whether it was my business or not. I cant stand by and watch someone give animals a death sentence like that. I hope the word gets out about this particular LFS and they lose some major business. It need to be known in the LFS world that the internet is powerful and inhumane and unethical business practices may make you a quick buck but will cost you dearly in the long run.

This is awful. I guess Im one of those bleeding heart types that view fish as living things, like dogs and cats and it breaks my heart to read this.

I think most of us on here feel that way about our fish. I've had some of my fish for a very long time, and am very attached to them.

Whats sad.Is that MOST of the kids ( and adults too ) that are hired at most stores are only in for a paycheck.Their only passion about the hobby is how much money they can bring home.

That sucks :(

Even if I had all the money in the world I couldn't just jump into any type of animal hobby without researching and trying to do things right. I get quite attached to every single one of my fish, even when I had freshwater and paid $1.99 for a fish.

Repeat customers are curcial to small businesses. Selling them all those critters only to see them die and piss off the customer is bad for business!

Back