Info on top off water

symon_say

Under the sea
I'm planing my system before i purchase anything, the tank size is decided, a 60x20x20, the sump will be something between 40-60 gallons, depending on the biggest rubbermaid i can find.

For the saltwater i'll be very lucky cause i'm gonna get it from the national aquarium ready to use, so this will not be a problem and the expense will be minimal, but my question is for top off of evaporated water, my questions area:

- this water should pure water without salt, right??
- do this water can be bottle water or it have to be RO/DI water??
- if RO/DI what system size do i need, given that it will be use only for top off??
- are ATO system worth??
- how difficult are then to build??

Thanks

Correct, your topoff water should be pure. If you're going to use bottled water make sure it's either RO or distilled.
if you get an RO/DI unit a 75, 100, or 150 gpd unit will work.
IMO ATOs are totally worth the money. I used to have to top my system off everyday. Now I can just fill the water reservoir every 4 or 5 days. I'm not too sure how you would build one, I bought my system off the Internet.

Where did you get your ATO? I really want one but don't know enough about making one and don't trust my plumbing skills !!!

I'm using the JBJ ATO, I bought mine from Bulk Reef Supply. I know a lot of others from this site are using ones from autotopoff.com

I am using the Tunze Osmolater. It is super efficient, and has dual fail safest so it can never overflow my sump. Kinda pricey, but well worth it IMO.

I am using that ATO you linked to and it has worked great.
Here is pic of my ATO setup.

Here is the ATO part sitting in my sump
DSC_0104.jpg

And here is my reservoir
DSC_0103.jpg

It was super duper easy to set up

i am planing on getting the JBJ auto top off system myself this next week when i get money enough,i have to top off at least once per day for my 75 setup

I also got my ATO from autotopoff.com about 2.5 years ago and has worked flawlessly. I got the dual switch model. It's a great setup and a great price.

Back