Installing a Mini-Refugarium in the Back of A Cube?

brittant

Dog Person in the Water
After doing some reading recently, and having to pay $1/gallon for water at the grocery store (as a trip to the LFS is a rare thing) I'd like to scrape out the inside section of my cube and install a light to grow some chaeto. Unfortunately, my tank is already cycled, and I'm worried about causing a mini-cycle by drying it out for several hours while setting everything up. Any tips? Should I still use the BioCube filter pads, if I'm going to be running a skimmer rated at 35 gallons along with the new refugarium?

Also, would my one fish and inverts be okay in a temp tank for several hours, if I used their current water and equipment?

(For anyone familiar with my recent posts, this would be in addition to my new Hydor Slim Skim skimmer, and at least a week or two after my move, to ensure that everything is stable. My end goal is to have a mini-ecosystem that needs minimal maintenance as a sign of its health and stability.)

Last edited:
Adding a fuge wont decrease your need for water changes, also Im pretty sure you can add a fuge section to your biocube without removing the tank contents

Yes, why would you be taking everything out of your tank just to add a fuge? Just remove whatever is in the fuge section now and replace it with chaeto. You don't need to drain any water or disrupt your animals at all.

Here's probably exactly what you're looking for. It'll have everything or gives you the idea of what you need for what you're looking to do. They have a 10w light that you put back in the middle chamber there also. Hopes this helps. It's got instruction for everything.
Biocube 14 Media Basket

Back