Introduce yourself with pics.

I was 6'1" when I had my "Mullet"View attachment 22903
image.jpg
You still DO:D

I'm a newB! I've always wanted a marine tank and finally found a 20g nano reef. I transported it home, reassembled it and have been learning how to deal with it for a few weeks. Parameters are pretty good with my only potential issue being Phosphates being a little high. That may be the reason I'm currently dealing with a diatom bloom.
Another problem that I probably shouldn't obsess about, is the hideous bristleworms. I want to get rid of them, dammit! At least, I'd like to reduce their numbers!
Will a Hector's Goby help? Now if only I could find one! :-)
053014 good pic of clown and green blue purple.jpg
053014 shroomies.jpg
060514 fungi plate coral.JPG
060514 nighttime clowns and anemone.JPG

Hey there @debraggery !

(first you'll get a lot more traffic starting your own post)

Second, tank looks great! If you're worried about bristleworms (who are excellent detrivores) cutting down on feeding will help more than anything. If they don't have leftovers to eat, they won't reproduce as much.

Welcome aboard!

I thought I had started a new post! I'm a newB here, too, as you can see.
I was really looking for a Hector's Goby to help with the population of bristleworms but the more I read, the more I think I'd better stop where I am (five small fish and many inverts and CUC) and just get myself educated. My tank was cycled but moving it has likely caused a mini-cycle so I've GOT to practice patience. ;-)
Thanks for the comment!

I do have a cleaner shrimp but I don't know the genus. I don't know if it's considered a peppermint. Would it be wise to add another?

Attachments

• 053014 shrimp and yellow one again.jpg
    053014 shrimp and yellow one again.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 404
I agree with you and I am going to practice some self-control! I know I'm at my limit.
Does a skunk cleaner help with worms? I suspect not, right?

Your shrimp will help with worms in the sense that they'll by competing for food.

Cutting down on feeding will be more effective than anything. How often and how much (and what) are you giving them?

Hi debraggery. Welcome to living reefs!
Patience and restraint are the two hardest things to learn in this hobby. But they are the key to being successful in it.

I need to continue to practice, practice, practice patience and restraint! But I will add no more creatures to my tank as long as these are well! I've also cut back on feeding. In the past couple of weeks, I likely fed them daily, a small dose of "Rod's Food", a frozen slushie of all sorts of marine life. I only gave them a pinch and aimed it mostly at the anemone and corals. I also added a boost of calcium and alkalinity for the corals and both are at optimum levels. I've also shot a few live brine shrimp into the tank a time or two. I haven't fed them today and they sure are acting like they're starving, as usual.
I'm also realizing that neurosis and paranoia are also qualities that I'm developing!
:-D

I have a 35 gal and I stopped at 4 (which i was told was pushing it)...plenty of clean up crew...2 corals...and Im planning on an anemone in a few monthes...shrimp wise I have a skunk and 2 peppermints....I had a singular bristle when i was cycling the tank...havent seen it since I purchased the shrimp...just saying...

Then I really AM pushing it! Interesting to know that a skunk and peppermint are OK in a community but now I think I should let it alone. I'll have to just limit their food and try to catch them when I see the bristleworms. I know I have a colony of them. :-(
My CUC is doing a great job. They're going to town on my little diatom bloom and that makes me feel better. Thanks for your input!

Also (one newbie to another) gotta make sure you include "I need a new tank" in the restraint and patience category; as you will find these things are like potato chips, you really can't just have one! (newbie with an expert husband!)

Also (one newbie to another) gotta make sure you include "I need a new tank" in the restraint and patience category; as you will find these things are like potato chips, you really can't just have one! (newbie with an expert husband!)

I know what you mean! I'm only about 7+ weeks into my 20g and I'm already looking around my house to determine where a BIG tank will fit. ;-) I know, I'm still learning so that's going to have to wait. PS. I'm a boxermom, too.... have three.

Attachments

• Three stooges.JPG
    Three stooges.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 376
I know what you mean! I'm only about 7+ weeks into my 20g and I'm already looking around my house to determine where a BIG tank will fit. ;-) I know, I'm still learning so that's going to have to wait. PS. I'm a boxermom, too.... have three.
Lol...I've never done more than one boxer at a time. The current one is an ornery little bugger. :D

Back