Introducing plants to the tank

Kizmar

#derpface
I've been doing some reading here and other places on the intarwebs on saltwater plants and macro algae. I'd like to get a couple different kinds of each that will both be beneficial in nitrate and phosphate removal as well as aesthetically pleasing (realizing that some are just for looks, and maybe food).

I see the Shaving Brush Plant is good for excess nutrient removal, but it's not something that I personally would consider "easy on the eye". I'm not opposed to getting a couple of these to do their job, but what else is good and safe for a reef tank that might add a little more natural "cool" factor?

Would something like the Halimeda or Haliptilon (kelp) be a decent choice?

Also... what micro algae would be good to introduce?

The idea here is three-fold: some plants to remove excess nutrients, some for looks, and some for food.

cheato algae is what most people use in sumps , as far as ornamental idk, but im answering so i can get updates for when people answer haha :D

Heh. Cool. I'm not looking for sump plants though. My sump is just the protein skimmer. I'm looking to have these plants in a few designated spots in the tank.

you can find some really nice looking macro algae at reefcleaners.org and you get a discount there for being a member on here! Just stay away from any type of cauplera (sp?) and you might want to stay away from the calcifying algaes if you want to get into hard corals because they compete for the available calcium far more effectively than corals.

Also, keep in mind that if you keep these macros in the display tank, many types of herbivorous fish will consume them, likely faster than they can grow. For nutrient scrubbing purposes you probably want a dedicated refugium - they do not need to be large or expensive. A simple rubbermaid container will work

Also, keep in mind that if you keep these macros in the display tank, many types of herbivorous fish will consume them, likely faster than they can grow. For nutrient scrubbing purposes you probably want a dedicated refugium - they do not need to be large or expensive. A simple rubbermaid container will work

1+

The marine plants you put in your tank will look nice but they will not come close to the nutrient export that a nice ball cheato can perform.

I'm already too invested in a skimmer sump to try to switch to a refugium at this point. Is it unheard of the have a ball of cheato IN the tank or will it quickly overrun it if not constantly pruned?

Basically... I want SOME sort of plant(s) in the tank, and I really don't care if the fish eat it, that might be a good sign that they're not getting enough food from other sources. I just wanted to make sure I don't get something that will end up being harmful for a reef tank.

Them eating the plants will not mean they aren't getting food from other sources, most fish will eat non stop if given the opportunity.

If you can take a photo or draw a diagram of your exisitng sump, we can probably come up with something that would work for a refugium if you want to go that route (and have a place to put it). Alternatively, you could look into a HOB refugium, but again that would depend on how your particular tank is set up.

You could certainly put Chaeto in the display tank and I don't think it will take the take over by any means. But I will say this - I had some chaeto in my DT and my tangs did graze on it throughout the day, and had a really hard time getting it through their system. If you have plant eating fish in the tank, you may want to look into softer/leafier types of macro so your fish do not have the same issue

I posted some pics of my sump empty on my My Tank thread.

I have a great protein skimmer in the sump, so I'm not really worried about needing macro algae for nutrient export. The main reason I started this thread was to get an idea of what I could put in the tank for looks that won't be harmful to fish or corals. If the fish eat it, meh... I'll just restock every once and a while.

I probably should have been a little more clear as to my intentions of introducing plants in the tank. :)

Last edited:
Those are kinda cool but I have a covered tank with a canopy.

I have a screen top and float mine and they do just fine. I even had them in my filter at one point and they were fine. also I love cheato and shaving brush. oh and Halimeda Plant is great and then there's Codium all vary nice :Cheers:

I've never found this anywhere else but my LFS has a purple colored Chondria macro and it looks great in his DT. My fish always eat it before it can grow enough in my tank. It's the purple algae in the middle of the pic:
Corals.jpg

Back