Is Filter Up To Task?

Oldsalt

Reefer Wannabe
I have a 47.5 gallon (180L) tank and a Juwel Compact H filter system (courtesy of Santa) with a Power Head 600...Based on all the great photos from everyone here, we are interested (in the end) to have a Reef Tank...a) I cannot locate any definitive info if this filter system will function (up to task) in a marine tank...b) The size of the filter you see in the photos has me thinking we will be cleaning this possibly more than once per week...c) I see in all the forums, I will need to organize a skimmer at some time...

We will be turning the key on this tank in April and will gladly share photos when it's wet.

Attachments

• IMG_3910.JPG
    IMG_3910.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_3912.JPG
    IMG_3912.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 359
You would be better removing the pads & filling it with coral skeleton. The pads will catch & dissolve the fish poop. I also note this type of filtration will not allow for LPS or SPS corals & limited fish. A sump w/refug makes a much better system. Along with a real pump figure water vol x 10 cycle per hour. But if your aim is some live rock, few fish, mushrooms & a soft coral I have seen limited results.

Here are some closeups on the filter

Attachments

• IMG_3913.jpg
    IMG_3913.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_3914.jpg
    IMG_3914.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_3915.jpg
    IMG_3915.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 316
That will work if you keep your bioload low (only a small amount of fish). You will have to be very careful about cleaning those blue sponges on a regular basis though. I agree with Trickster though, in that it will be more effective if you remove the blue sponges and replacing them with pieces of rock. If you start your tank slow, and are good about doing water changes, it will be fine. But for a reef tank, definitely start looking into a decent protein skimmer.

Especially since you have a relatively small reef setup efficient filtration is a must. Think of it in terms of parts per million, in your tank 20ppm of nitrates would be like 10ppm in my aquarium because I have roughly double the water volume. I would reccomend a sump/refugium which would actually increase the volume of your setup. That with a good skimmer and you'd be on easy street :)

Back