Is it Possible to Water Proofing LED ?

shawnth

Reefing newb
Hi,

I recently got some LED lights for my aquarium only to find out that its not water proof and needs to be placed over a glass or acrylic cover. After reading through the forums I understand I'm going to have trouble long term if I cover my aquarium. Especially since warmer weather is just around the corner and with the cover on I'm not going to be able to effectively run a fan.

Therefore wondering if this commonly comes up and whether there is a good way to water proof such lights. To give an example of what I got, take a look at the following website for pictures.

http://www.shopping-charm.jp/ItemDetail.aspx?tid=14&catId=1115203000&itemId=66940

Can you return them for something else? I am unaware of different countries policies on returns. I also have an issue with reading japanese, so will they be good enough to keep reefs?

Unfortunately returns are almost unheard of here in Japan unless of course the goods were DOA. In this case the lights should be good for reefs (read lots of positive reviews) however when ordering I missed the disclaimer that its not water proof. So my best bet is to auction these off.. however looking at the different sites I notice:
- I can't find anywhere near the variety of lights I see on US online stores.
- Majority of LED light fixtures at least sold in Japan seem to assume you are mounting them on a glass/acrylic cover (aside from the ones designed to hang a fair distance above the tank).

Is there a glass cutter place anywhere near you? What I did with mine was took peices of Acrylic and glued them together at length of the tank to create a U shape which I set the light into. So basicly its right on top of the water but sitting in an Acrylic box.

There aren't any waterproof fixtures available for our hobby that I am aware of. The fixture should be suspended above the water and waterproofing shouldn't really be an issue

The way I described is the only sure way to make sure its waterproof without covering the entire top of your tank. Basicly make an Acrylic Box and place your fixture inside.

+1 Northstar. You will not find one Led or light fixture that will say "waterproof". Being Leds you will want to mount them above the tank anyways to get the proper light coverage.

Dont you loose effectiveness with putting lexan or acrylic over lighting? I guess lets get very technical, is the light fixture "water resistant" or does it seem very exposed?

Hi thanks for all the responses.

The instructions doesn't mention anywhere that its water resistent, all it saids is please use a cover. I can make 2 visual observations on the fixture however.
1) All the LED bulbs do appear to have a circular plastic cover on it so doesn't look completely exposed. How air tight that is of course is another story.
2) The fixture does have metal stands popping out in the sides which puts it slightly higher up. With the water level where it is (due to overflow) the fixture would sit 2 inches above water level without a cover.

Its comforting to know at least that its expected to not have completely water proof fixtures... I was going a bit crazy looking around for it. Does the above possibly fit the profile of something which should be fine w/o a cover or I should really try to get it higher above the water level somehow ? I think I know of a place which may cut acrylic/glass for me (well its a DIY place which cuts wood on demand so hoping they do the same for glass).

Shawn

Back