Is my cycle done?

mmfrock

Reefing newb
Hi everyone!

It's been 4 weeks and I'm dying to get a fishy!! Here's an attached picture of my tests...but in case you cannot see, i believe they are PH 8.0, Amm 0, rite 0, rate 5.0. So...my question is, do i have to wait for the nitrates to go to 0 on their own...or can i do a water change and get a fishy??

Attachments

• IMG_4594.jpg
    IMG_4594.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 808
Yay!!! I am so excited! So I do a water change, and then see where the nitrates are. If I need to do a second water change to get them down, then i do. ONce i ge that PH up, i'm getting a clownfish!! Oh i how i miss my big old tank, when i had two clowns that ruled the tank!!

I am in almost exactly the same place as described here! (Just took a longer road to get here, but that's a story for another time).

If I read this correctly.... with ph 8, Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrite .25 it is okay to add fishies? I am testing a tiny bit over ph8, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite but about .3 nitrate.

@mmfrock - did you add your clown(s)? If so - how is everything going? Give us an update!

Yes I added my clown and blenny along with a water change. My nirtrates were at 5.0 when i added and they're perfectly fine and now my nitrates are 0. I've heard many tanks run about 10 nitrates pretty often and things are ok, i think it's just not ideal and not good for corals. Good luck!!

I am in almost exactly the same place as described here! (Just took a longer road to get here, but that's a story for another time).

If I read this correctly.... with ph 8, Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrite .25 it is okay to add fishies? I am testing a tiny bit over ph8, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite but about .3 nitrate.

@mmfrock - did you add your clown(s)? If so - how is everything going? Give us an update!

If you have had living sand and live rock in your tank then it's probably fine, but if you have just had water in there then nothing has cycled yet, you need living things in there to help cycle the tank. Damsels and clowns are good starter fish they are hearty and will help your tank cycle nicely.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You never ever cycle with a living creature. Just toss in a piece of table shrimp and monitor your levels. After your ammonia and nitrite are zero, then you can add a living creature. To do otherwise is just cruel.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You never ever cycle with a living creature. Just toss in a piece of table shrimp and monitor your levels. After your ammonia and nitrite are zero, then you can add a living creature. To do otherwise is just cruel.

I totally agree that exposing a living creature to high levels is awful. When I cycled my eel tank with one damsel, the levels never really got out of hand, even in the rough patch. I think it was because the tank is so big compared to the tiny fish, and because I "sped it up" using bottled bacteria. I have no idea if this was a good idea but the product had good reviews and LFS said it was an awesome product. The bacteria broke down the ammonia, sped up the biofilter process, and kept things stable. I also did regular water changes and added a product to detoxify ammonia and nitrite, so even if I did get some in there it took care of it straight away.

HOWEVER, I would listen to little fish because it is a lot easier and cheaper to just throw in a table shrimp and be patient than spend $40 on bacteria and not wait at all.

That's just my take on it :p

the problem is even small levels of ammonia are highly toxic. Even if they survive the cycle, their lifetime has been shortened considerable. Our fish should easily live 5-10 years.

the problem is even small levels of ammonia are highly toxic. Even if they survive the cycle, their lifetime has been shortened considerable. Our fish should easily live 5-10 years.

Agree. And some even longer (Halo the magical wondereel)!

Us ChemE's should fix this problem :mrgreen:

Yes, by educating people not to do it :) Easiest fix in the entire world :)

Its important to get a big spike in ammonia anyways, it establishes a better bacteria load anyways. Doing water changes just extends the cycle and gives you less bacteria in the end.

Personally, i think the vast majority of our fish could live 10+ years. I have heard of a clown fish that lived to be past 20 years IN THE WILD! I sure hope I can provide the proper care for all of my fish so that they can live a full and happy life, i will be taking a serious look at my tank and how I take care of my tank if I dont get good long lives from my fish.

Back