Is the drop big enough for sump refugium?

Homer

Reefing newb
Here is the sad video as stated in the headline, it`s a cry for help... In video everything is explained, but in shorter:
Sump and aquarium, is almost in the same level, there is a drop, but only around 3 inches..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UMESgfo6LI[/ame]

How are you planning on getting the water from the tank to the refugium?

Also, I would make your baffle shorter. It looks like it's close to the top of the tank -- I would leave about 1/3 of the tank's height open above the baffle.

How are you planning on getting the water from the tank to the refugium?

Also, I would make your baffle shorter. It looks like it's close to the top of the tank -- I would leave about 1/3 of the tank's height open above the baffle.

Amm, the schematics are in this thank thread: https://www.livingreefs.com/homer-s-105-gallon-tank-build-t44934.html

But basically, via drilled hole in the aquarium, it travels via pvc pipe to sump, where it splits in two, one goes to protein skimmmer, one to refugium, then the water flows to return...

I hope my English was in a good enough level to explain it :)

If you are doing it that way, then even just a slight drop will be okay. I think the height that it's at will work fine. You will want to make sure that you don't get too strong of a return pump. That will overflow your tank.

I had my old refugium set up the same way.

If you are doing it that way, then even just a slight drop will be okay. I think the height that it's at will work fine. You will want to make sure that you don't get too strong of a return pump. That will overflow your tank.

I had my old refugium set up the same way.

Oh, ok... but what if I have two overflow holes? Can I get then a stronger return pump?

Yes. But I would only go with one hole. It will look nicer and will be one less place for your tank to leak. You don't need to have strong flow through the sump/refugium.

Yes. But I would only go with one hole. It will look nicer and will be one less place for your tank to leak. You don't need to have strong flow through the sump/refugium.

But as I read, the water change needs to be around 10 times... so that means I need to have a return pump of 1200 gallons per hour, and I am not sure, that one overflow hole 1/4 inches can handle it...

Most drilled tanks are 1 inch holes. Turn over in the tank should be closer to 40 times a hour. This is all water movers. Return pump and the power heads in the tank. Take the power heads and return pump rates add them all together and divide by the tank volume.

Most drilled tanks are 1 inch holes. Turn over in the tank should be closer to 40 times a hour. This is all water movers. Return pump and the power heads in the tank. Take the power heads and return pump rates add them all together and divide by the tank volume.

No, I have 1/4 inch drill (inner diameter). Yes, of course,the total turnover will be way bigger, but the return pumo will be around 10 times :)

Hypothetically speaking----are you saying if you drilled your hole and then measured across the hole you just drilled it would only be 1/4" wide? If this is the case then you need a bigger bit to drill a bigger hole. How big will your return line back to the diplay tank be?

This tank is glass..right? I know they sell a 14mm hole saw but that is for float switches nor a over flow. A 29mm would be for a 1/2 inch bulkhead, 39mm for a 3/4 bulkhead, 45mm for a 1 inch bulk head. The hole has to be larger for the bulkhead to fit in. Here is a link to a bunch of glass cutters, there are also videos of how to do the cutting and how to install bulkheads and such. glass cutting holesaws

This tank is glass..right? I know they sell a 14mm hole saw but that is for float switches nor a over flow. A 29mm would be for a 1/2 inch bulkhead, 39mm for a 3/4 bulkhead, 45mm for a 1 inch bulk head. The hole has to be larger for the bulkhead to fit in. Here is a link to a bunch of glass cutters, there are also videos of how to do the cutting and how to install bulkheads and such. glass cutting holesaws

That is offensive my friend :) , telling me that the hole needs to be bigger than bulkhead and the drill bit needs to be bigger etc :) ... Comon ... :)

I have already bought everything and EVERYTHING fits, I just haven`t drilled it yet (but I plan to do it tomorrow)... Anyway, hole diameter will be 32 mm ( which will result in to a 1 1/4 inch bulkhead (INNER DIAMETER)...

I was talking serious about the ability to take a car apart and put it together..

Hypothetically speaking----are you saying if you drilled your hole and then measured across the hole you just drilled it would only be 1/4" wide? If this is the case then you need a bigger bit to drill a bigger hole. How big will your return line back to the diplay tank be?

Upsy, sorry for that... I am using metric system (in my country), so that every time I write here, I need to convert to imperial system, and yes... sometimes mistakes do happen...

The drill is 42 mm, which makes a 32 mm (1 1/4 inch (not 1/4 inch)). Hole. THE BULKHEAD inner diameter will be the same (1 1/4 inch). There for the pvc`s outter diameter be 1 1/4 inches ...

:) I hope no mistakes now :)

Was in no way trying to offensive. I kinda figured that it was a communication error. That is why I posted hole saws in metric in the post. Its all good though, I have no doubt in your abilities to get this done just trying to be helpful. :D

Was in no way trying to offensive. I kinda figured that it was a communication error. That is why I posted hole saws in metric in the post. Its all good though, I have no doubt in your abilities to get this done just trying to be helpful. :D

well you better watch out :D :) :)

Back