Is there such a thing as too much flow?

Solarfall

Totally Gnar
I'm looking to buy some wavemakers online and i'm finding really good deals on ones with like 800 and 1300 gph. Most of them are sold in sets of two though.
Would 1600 or 2600 gph just be overkill in my 55 gal? Or should I get them? That really sounds like a lot of water movement to me.

Thanks

It's not too much flow. Some people with a lot of high flow corals aim for 100x turnover of their tank volume per hour. So 5500 gph would be on the very high end of flow for a 55 gallon tank.

I have 4200gph combine flow, not counting my skimmer. Sometimes I worry that it's too much flow because it doesn't matter how I position it it will either kick up sand or try to blow water out of the top of the tank..but my tank is a tall..If I had a long I think it'd be just about perfect.

And the fish do like it. Where it hits the rocks however, my CUC do not like it. They rarely if ever climb up there.

I'm looking to buy some wavemakers online and i'm finding really good deals on ones with like 800 and 1300 gph. Most of them are sold in sets of two though.
Would 1600 or 2600 gph just be overkill in my 55 gal? Or should I get them? That really sounds like a lot of water movement to me.

Thanks

Try crag's list or ebay.

Hi all. I have 3x1200 tunz's pushing up at the back, and 1x2400lt pushing across on one end of the tank. I have 60kg rock sitting on an eggcrate frame 5cm up off the substrate. The rear pump's push straight up. The end one is aimed across and slightly up so that the carefully aqauscaped rock deflects all currants to the speed I want, with no pick up of sand. The ratio is approx 40/1, but the speed under the subframe is approx 6/8cm per sec. I hope this helps. Regards.

30g tank

300gph powerhead on the HOB refugium
300gph powerhead on the side wall with a Hydor rotating attachment
110gph powerhead on back wall blowing forward
300gph on right side blasting low across the back of the tank towards the left side.

The Hydor rotating head and the one that blasts across the back wall are on a timer. 15 on - 15 off - 15 on - 15 off -- from 9am - 9pm. They are off at night.

I keep LPS, mushrooms and zoas.

Back