Is this a good deal?

SJojo3377

Reefing newb
Hey everyone!

So it has been some months since I have posted something, but I am always on this site almost everyday to learn new things. I think my husband and I are much closer to tank ownership now than we were before:bounce:.....So I went to my lfs tonight and I saw a deal. Maybe it is maybe it isn't...

It is a 55 gallon aquarium with pine canopy and stand

a 10 gallon sump

Mag drive 12 pump

2 bulkheads

Plumbing Kit

All for $800 dollars. Is this a deal or should we keep looking (no, lighting doesn't come with it, would be great if it did though! :D

Thank you for all of your imput!

I would try craigslist or local paper. People are always gtting out of this hobby, and for that money you could find a decent setup with larger sump (10 is pretty small) and lights.

i would say no, if you tell me the closest place to you on craigslist ill look for you. i check it multiple times a day lookin for deals

Thank you Nano. I appreciate that.Yeah, I guess we will keep looking. Plus we would like to get lights with the package deal ya know? We would love to have LED lights, but I know those are very expensive....that will be in the future I suppose. Anyways, Atlanta would be the closest to me. Thank you again :-)

Sjojo,

I'm in Roswell and also new to the hobby. I'm a fast learner though! If you are in my area, I can tell you what I have learned about the stores here. Without naming names:

One is big, has lots of stuff, nice fish good supplies. IF.... you know what you are looking for, its a decent enough place. Equipment is highly over priced and I don't trust the folks in the store. Bunch of stoner kids IMO.

Next it a top of the line place. Very clean, high end equipment and nice livestock. Livestock is over priced but the folks running the store are VERY knowledgeable and I trust them when asking for advice.

Last is a real DUMP! Little to no equipment for sale, what is there is old recycled stuff. (This is not bad, just don't expect a nice tidy display!) His livestock on the other hand is AWESOME! Best I have seen and his reputation for just that is known far and wide. If you have a fish question, he can tell you the answer! Prices are on par with Internet prices also.

One store is in Roswell proper, the other is in Marietta and the last is off of Winward PKW. PM me is your close and I'll let you know the names. Also, there is a Petco (I think) in Dunwoody that has a good reputation with the saltwater community here. I haven't been there, but I have heard that the fellow in charge is very good. Also, if you get to the Atlanta Aquarium anytime soon, just ask the folks working there. They LOVE to talk about home owner tanks and fish!

Thanks Nonfamous. Sorry it has taken me so long to get back with you. Work has been kicking my butt. We are in Duluth. We went to Aviarium and Atlanta Aquarium. The Aviarium people were pretty nice and seemed to know what they were talking about. I think Atlanta Aquarium might be into it for the money. I may be wrong, but that is how I feel. In the mean time, we will continue looking and asking questions. For now, we gotta use our monies to buy a used engine for my husband's suv. Fun times....

Yup, gotta keep the cars in order for sure. If you get up to the windward pkwy area, check out Pure Reef. Real nice place and the prices aren't too overboard. Real knowledgable folks there too.

So I found another deal. This one is good right?

....Well I have 3 filters 2 are aqeon and one is marineland I also have two large power heads for it and a 10 gallon with bio balls that was used for a sump filter in the bottom of the tank the tank also has some live sand in it now

Quote taken off Craigslist in Duluth, GA. All for $120 dollars

All equipment was 120 dollars.

Good stuff or no?

So, u think it is a no go? I got really excited about that price ya know? 120 for 55 gal, black wood stand, filters, live sand, and 2 powerheads. I asked them why they are selling and they told me that they had a nitrate spike. Also, they wanted to upgrade to a 125 gal by Christmas. I know we can't spend a lot on a saltwater setup right now cause of the suv engine. But, we would sure like something up and runing by Christmas ya know? We have been wanting a saltwater aquarium in our place for years now.....Do u think we should only buy the aquarium and stand only? As you can tell, I don't know what to do.....

what if you bought it, ditched the hob filters. used the two powerheads, converted the 10 gallon sump with bioballs to a refugium and bought a good hob skimmer. that would be awesome then

Back