jbj 28g hqi or oceanic biocube 29g hqi

ggNoRe

Reefing newb
Hello,

I doubt any of you remeber me but I use to frequent these forums 6-8 months ago with plans to build a 90g tank. Well since then I have bought a townhome, got married, and found out my wife is pregnant. Due to all the recent activity it looks like I no longer have the room or money to support a 90g system and am instead looking into nano builds. After a bit of research I'm leaning towards getting either the bicube 29g hqi or the jbj 28g hqi setups and would like your opinions of which is the better system or suggestions of any other similar size and priced systems. Thanks and I'm glad to see these forums growing strong. :)

Yup, that's the one I'm inquiring about. Another question I have is, would adding the new evolution koralia powerhead (750gph) be too powerful for this tank?

I can't give you any personal opinions because I never owned the BC and I've only had my JBJ for about a week. But, I was on the fence between the two but, ended up going with the JBJ because it was well over $100 less for the JBJ and it came with the stand included. I do like the way they have redesigned the back chamber on the new BCs though.

The Finnex's look like awesome tanks and I've heard nothing but great things about them. I just wish they were priced competitively with the JBJ and BC. If money weren't an issue, I probably would have gotten one of their M-tanks.

Just from what I've seen at the LFS,About the only difference in the BC and the JBJ is the price and the names thats stamped on them.

I have been doing tons of research on both the past few night and this is what I've come up with so far. The main complaints with the jbj seems to be tons of people saying the hqi isn't cooled down enough by the fans and the water gets too hot (got to buy a chiller.. this is my main concern and why I'm slightly leaning against this aquarium), the protein skimmer is crap (to be expected imo), the pump for the skimmer is loud, and it seems to be discontinued by marinedepot and petstore (makes me wonder). However, it has led moonlights, 2 powerheads, a wavemaker, and is only $500 with stand. I can't find many reviews for the biocube HQI (I guess it's too new) but the older 29g biocube seems to be very popular and has a huge following as well as tons of mods. Also the refugium chamber looks pretty big which is a huge plus in my book. On the other hand, the Biocube is $500 w/o stand $570 with and doesn't come with the extras on the JBJ which I stated before. Hard decision.. :|

Where my post lands nobody knows.

Don't both HQI nano systems have tight fitting lids?I don't see how either one doesn't have heat issues..even with fans that blow well.

They both had tight fitting lids however, the biocube does not have the light integrated into the hood. It's mounted to the back of the tank and hangs over a glass top.

Back