Just don't know what LED system to get..

I'm hoping these will lower my utility bill by about 50 bucks a month.

Have you done the math based on what you pay per kilowatt hour? No lighting is going to lower your electric bill by that much. Just don't want you to have unrealistic expectations of what the LEDs can do...

Over my 240 gallon tank, I ran a MH/T5 combo that was 1200 watts. For 12 hours a day, that's 14,400 watts per day, which is 14.4 kilowatts. 30 days in the month means my light used up 432 kilowatts per month. My electric company charges 9 cents per kilowatt hour, so that's $38.88 per month to run just the lights, and 1200 watt lights, probably much more than you have now. No way is switching to LEDs for a tank half the size of my tank going to save you $50 a month in electricity -- they don't even use that much electricity to begin with.

ha ha i was just being sarcastic but it sure would be nice if it would take off 50 bucks. When i got a MH i sure did notice an increase in electricity tho. Id even be happy with 20 bucks a month. I was about to replace bulbs and just decided its time to make the switch.

You can well opt for taotronic lights as they saves the energy consumption or t5 lights if cannot afford for those. These are increasing their popularity with their effective features such as less heat propagation and of low cost.

Again, be weary of the pendant lights from China, two different locals here tried the Taotronics and replaced them with different fixtures in less than 6 months due to issues with the fixtures

Back