Just watched my fish die

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Violet, my purple firefish wasn't looking so hot when I got home tonight. Quickly tested my water: ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10, pH 8.2, salinity 1.023. Did a quick 2g water change while I was waiting for test results. Thought maybe she was just going through a quiet period, but one of her eyes looked a little different to me. Just went to check on her, and watched her swim vertically and then turn sideways and get stuck between the back glass and a rock. She's been like that for 10min now with no movement when I tap on the glass. :( This is a sad day....

Thanks, everyone. I really wish I knew what happened. She started acting a little off ever since I added the blenny last week. The blenny is still really skittish, hiding in the rocks, so I don't think it was a territorial or bullying issue, and my water levels have been fine (0/0/<10). I adjusted one of the powerheads last week and thought maybe she was just swimming in a different location due to the powerhead adjustment and where the flow was in the tank. The only other odd thing when I got home today was that there were a whole bunch of bubbles that had accumulated on the top of the water against the glass. No idea what they were from, I scooped them out with a paper towel during the water change. Haven't identified anything else that has died (including inverts), and temp was okay at 79.7. Any ideas what might have caused the accumulation of bubbles?

And I think I will replace her with another purple firefish - I really loved her in my tank :(

I get bubbles like that in my FW tank from my HOB filter. It pushes bubbles down into the water and they become a big bunch of bubbles on the side of the tank. I also know that some fish (the betta is the most commonly known one) make a nest by blowing bubbles at the surface of the water. I have seen that as well. Those are my only thoughts though.

Back