Justin's 125 build

mng777777

Shark Wrangler Wannabe
I am off and running with my new tank build. Last week I moved the new tank in and placed it temporarily upon a large piece of furniture. It's a 125 all glass tank. I only filled it partially so as to minimize the weight as I am sure that the furniture it's on wasn't designed to hold so much weight. I moved all the livestock from my 75 and for the most part everything is doing well.
P111000611.jpgP111000711.jpgP111000811.jpgP111000911.jpg
Specs for the new tank: I will be running 2x250w MH 20k fixtures, 2x24w t5's, 2x96w power compacts, and led moonlighting over the display, and 2x24w t5's over my fuge. I will use the old 75 as my sump and fuge. I got an Iwaki 1200 gph pump for the return and picked up an ASM G5 skimmer.

Yesterday I got the lumber to start my stand build and I started the build today.
P111001011.jpg

Last edited:
I finished the base of the stand tonight. I will primer and paint tomorrow and then wrap it with cab face and doors.

Lou-dog's checking it out...
P111001611.jpgP111001711.jpg

thanks guys! I got it primered today and got the sump tank cleaned, and ready for baffles etc. I will paint the stand tomorrow and install baffling in the sump tank and then I get to start playing with plumbing and electrical! Yay! I love this part. I think it's the engineer in me that thrives on designing and seeing all the plumbing work properly.

I painted the stand today and installed the baffles in my sump. It's all in the garage drying. It smells awesome out there right now :) I will start the electrical and plumbing tomorrow.
P1110018111111.jpgP1110019111111.jpg

Gotta love the smell of silicone and paint:D
Its coming along great Justin.Cant wait to see that 125 sittin on top of the new stand.

thanks guys! I got sidetracked today and have not gotten any more done but I did figure out my overflows. I have spent considerable time thinking about my options and I just keep going back to the Thailand build: DSPS tank from Thailand (1000 gallon+) - Page 101 - Reef Central Online Community After seeing his plumbing, I can't imagine a more clean appearance. I have always disliked the look of the overflow boxes and so I have decided that I am going to attempt to copy his design. I am planning to use several modified tub drains along the top of the back instead of the overflow box I had first planned on. I am anxious to keep the build moving along but I am heading out of town for Christmas so I probably won't get much more done until next week.

That's some cool plumbing on that tank. Thanks for the link.
If I was doing a standard tank against a wall, I'd do a CTC with a Bean Animal Failsafe setup.
I can't wait to see what you come up with based on that other tank.

Don't spend too much time away, Justin. You have a tank that's pressing. :)
Seriously have a great Christmas. I hope next year will bring you wonderful things and much happiness.

Well, I'm back to the overflow box idea I think. I woke up this morning with my build on my mind and realized that the flaw in my drain plan is that my water level will sit 2 inches or more below the top of the tank, and that is simply unacceptable. I really hoped to avoid overflows but I don't see a way around it. My new idea is to get some ABS and cut teeth in the top. I will cut it in half down the middle of the pipe and use one half in the middle of the tank, then cut the other half in half again and stand the quarter pieces in the corners. It will give me a total of three overflow boxes and decent surface skim without taking up the whole back of the tank, or having the box look of the calflo style overflows. Any Thoughts?

I have been over it again and again and despite my best efforts, I am back to the calflo overflow design. I tried so hard to fight it, but since I am going through the back and not the bottom, I just couldn't find a better way to make it all fit. I bought all the plumbing supplies today and drilled the holes in my stand top for the plumbing. I am waiting for the primer to dry so I can paint the holes and get started glueing in my plumbing. I also got the plexiglass for the overflow. I am building a Calflo box and plumbing it with the bean animal pipes just as Dennis suggested. I also spent some time working on the sump, I drilled it and plumbed in the bulkhead fitting. The return pump plumbing is ready to glue but I am waiting for the primer to dry on a base plate I made for the pump. I should get all the rest of the painting done tomorrow assuming I am not stuck terribly late at work...

Back