Kalkwasser questions.

Solarfall

Totally Gnar
Alright so I've decided to try doing kalk top-offs because my calcium supplementing doesn't seem to keep up. There are spots of coralline that are starting to bleach and my calc is down to like 360 on a regular basis.

1. I've heard that kalk drops your magnesium. Is this true and does it mean I'll also have to get a mag supplement?

2. What's the best brand to get?

3. Is there any real danger in using it to top-off manually rather than having an ATO?

4. Need to know anything that is neccesary to dosing kalk.

Thanks, guys.

When calcification occurs, calcium, alk and magnesium are used in this ratio: aprox 1 meg/l alk - 18 ppm calcium - 2 ppm magnesium. So............

1- It's not that kalk really drops mag, althought it may precipitate a slight amount, it's more on the lines of if you need to dose calcium and alk, which kalk provides, you also need to dose mag, which kalk doesn't provide.
2- When I was dripping kalk, I used Mrs Wages Pickling Lime
3- The danger in adding alot of kalk at once is it has a real high pH, around 12 if I recall, and dosing alot at once can raise the pH in your tank too much.
4- Best way is to set up a drip system...like an IV bag thing.

Here's a few good articles to read.
What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Chemistry and the Aquarium

Back