knockoff koralia's

They sell a magnet that fits on the piece they give you. They had them at our frags swap last weekend and I am still kicking myself for not getting one.

yeah, those stinking little magnets are outrageous! no way i'm paying 25 bucks a piece for them. i'll DIY some out of a 10.00 mag cleaner that I bought from petco. the brackets they come with are supposed to fit the all the original maxi-jet brackets. so, i'll probaly roll with them for a while.

fyi the 2 docs have the sureflow mod for 5 dollars less than marinedepot.

Yote the sureflow kit comes with a magnet mount it is the eco mod that sells the stupid hanger and they are more expensive.

I just barely discovered these and have 3 1200s in my 80gal. looks like i know what im going to be trying out.

ok i just found this thread at the perfect time. im planning on ditching my closed loop return plans and stick with powerheads to save alot of headaches. Are you guys saying that maxijet are better then Koralia? the K4 to be exact. if so why are they so much cheaper then koralia is it because you can get a wave controller with the koralias?

will three of these Maxi-Jet 1200 Powerhead / MP 1200 + Algae Free Sure Flow 1600 Maxi-Jet Upgrade Kit be too much flow for a 75 mixed reef?

Are these really a deal?
Prices from marinedepot.com:
MJ 1200 - $20
Eco mod - $15
Magnet mount - $20
TOTAL - $55

Koralia 4 - $48

for me yes, I already have 3 mj1200 in my 80G so they have already been expensed, so when looking for more flow options and you can get 2 sureflow mods with magnets on drsfosters for 30 bucks, less than the price of 1 k4 i would consider my situation a deal. plus this mod pumps more gph than a k4

for me yes, I already have 3 mj1200 in my 80G so they have already been expensed, so when looking for more flow options and you can get 2 sureflow mods with magnets on drsfosters for 30 bucks, less than the price of 1 k4 i would consider my situation a deal. plus this mod pumps more gph than a k4
Maybe...if you have the MJ's already, but 1 of us is looking at the prices wrong.
From Drs F&S
SureFlow upgrade (does not include a magnet) - $15
Magnet mount - $25 (cheaper at MarineDepot)
TOTAL - $40 plus your own MJ

We arent comparing these on the same playing field. The Maxi-Mods push about 2000gph on a Maxi-1200, while the K4's only push about 1200gph. If you want to level the playing field you have to step up to a Koralia 6 which retails for just under $150. The Tunze Turbell Stream 2's retail for about $175 and push about 2200pgh. So even at 55 bucks, modded Maxi-Jets are a pretty good deal.

I'm all for DIY. My entire system is DIY :)
All I'm saying is I don't think buying all the pieces is a deal. If you have the MJ, maybe it's worth it. If you DIY the shroud and prop, it's definitely worth it.
What I would do is buy a K-4 and an Ecomod for $63. The ecomod impeller/prop fits right in the K-4 with no modifications. Turns a stock K-4 into a 2K+ gph K-4 . Then, if you also have a K-3, take the K-4 prop and put it in the K-3. ;)

Got em in today!!!!

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0107-1.jpg

You can see how cloudy the water is now that it has kicked up all kinds of detritus that had settled running 3 1200s and an aquaclear 50. all has been removed except 2 modded 1200s and WOW i almost crapped my pants when i saw how much flow these things created. THUMBS UP on this product!!!!!

DSC_0109-1.jpg

Back