kole tang

Prototype220

Reefing newb
Anyone else here that has a kole tang? I have had one for about six months and I'm just wondering what other things I can feed him/her. I know that their main diet consists of algae, and I regularly give it algae papers and frozen foods with algaes and spirulina, but I also have a hippo tang who seems to get the most out of these varieties. I just want the kole tang to be as "chunky" as the hippo is, if possible. Right now all the fish in my tank (kole tang, hippo tang, black clown, and coral beauty) are getting a mixed diet of frozen brine, spirulina, mysis, algae paper, and sometimes a mystery cube of Formula variety pack.

I got rid of mine LOL

But mine ate anything and everything I put in the tank. Sounds like you're feeding a nice variety. You can also toss in a few formula one pellets. I give those as a treat once in a while.

Sounds like what your feeding is about right

Off subject, but your 90 gallon is half the size recommended as a minimum for a Hippo Tang - it will need to be re-homed sooner or later

Ok :). I mean they're thriving and not sick or anything. However, I would just like to look in there and see it with a nice fat belly like my greedy hippo! Maybe it's just naturally thin like me :)

Off subject, but your 90 gallon is half the size recommended as a minimum for a Hippo Tang - it will need to be re-homed sooner or later
That's what everyone keeps telling me! I've had "Dory" for about two years now and she's just now starting her transition from juvenile to adult. We'll have to cross that bridge when we get to it :)

Ok, so my Kole tang has taken a turn for the worse! Last night as I was feeding my FOWLR I noticed her/his color was very faded. I was thinking that maybe it was just sleeping and the color should return, but alas, it wasn't eating very well either. So this morning I went and bought some caulpera (sp?) algea to try and entice it to eat, but this time it wouldn't even come out! Finally found it alive, but looks like it took a turn for the worse! Very lethargic :( All other fish in the tank are visibly healthy and eating well. Water params are good, and it has no visible parasites. I have not added anything to this tank in over 6 months so any ideas?

Sadly, might just be one of those things you'll never find out :( Without knowing what he's sick with, it's hard to prescribe a treatment, since treatments are specific. And either way, he's so far gone, any treatment would no doubt kill him from stress.

Can you catch him? Try putting him in the sump maybe? See if being away from other fish will let him come out and eat more? But again, anything you do might do him in.

I just feel so bad! It's bad enough when you know what is wrong, but I feel so helpless right now just watching him waste away in spite of all my best efforts :confused::dunno::confused: Now I'm going to :x: that it isn't some unseen deadly parasite in the tank!

Try tying a small piece of algae to a rock w/ a rubber band, put it near its hideout, and turn out the lights. See if you can get him to eat that way.

Sounds like an internal parasite to me.
Metronidazole This may help,but you'll have to treat him in a QT.
And hope he gets better.But usually when a fish stops eating,then it's too late.

Bummer, that sucks.

I have had several Kole Tangs. In my experience, they never get "fat" like the Hoppos do, fact none with that same body shape do.

I also lost mine, each time for unknown reasons. So I decided not to put anymore in my tank.

Back