Kryptonite Candy Cane ?

JohnVH

Reefer Madness
Hey all, I have a Kryptonite Candy Cane that I have had for awhile now and has been doing really well. A couple of months ago one of it's head split into two and the heads are very puffy and tenticles are usually showing to some degree. Today the Candy Cane is very shrivilled up even after the lights have come on. I kept a close eye on it before leaving for work and no change.
Parameters are:
SG=1.025
AMM=0
PH=8.1
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=Trace
Phos=0
CAL=450
MAG=1400
All other corals including another Candy Cane are doing fine and no problems with any fish or inverts. Anyone have any ideas? The Coral looked fine yesterday, I will keep an eye on it hopefully in the morning there will be some kind of improvement.

If it happened all of a sudden, perhaps something was bothering it (nipped it or bumped into it). Your water parameters seem fine. But sometimes things just die and we don't know why, too.

My Kryptonite Candy Cane has worried me before too. It seemed to start melting from the mouth area. It took many weeks for it to look healthy again, and then it split heads. They are pretty hardy. Just give it time.

I Think I have found the reason my Candy Cane isn't doing so well. I caught my Coral Beauty nipping at it. The CB has never touched a coral before I hope that it hasn't developed a taste for corals. I think I might have to up the feeding regiment. I feed my fish every other day and always keep a piece of nori on each side of the tank which all of the fish tear it apart even the Clowns. As I am posting this the CB just did it again! I think I will try have to fashion a temporary cover for it out of a plastic water bottle and see if it can come back.

CB's are a with caution fish...but most people are saying now not reef safe...they seem to like acans as well...

Back