Laura's 10 gal Tank

laura-jean

friend to the fish
My tank! Just added another piece of rock. First one on the left. This time imported from Indonesia. Has some nice coralline algae on it. :)

P1050101-1.jpg

P1050091.jpg

My crab. Not sure what he is.

P1050089.jpg

Another picture I took of my crab. He likes to hide, this is a rare occurrence.

P1050082.jpg

My horseshoe crab. Planning on getting a bigger tank before he gets too big and he eats hermit crab pellets, luckily enough.

P1050086.jpg

Another picture. He may not be the smartest of tank choices but he's super cute.

Might be! I have no idea because the store labeled him as a fiddler, which he definitely is NOT.

UPDATE: I went to a new fish store, and they were very helpful there. I'm probably going to use that one from now on, but I still have another one that I want to check out. It's a little farther but still really close. :P

Thanks! If he pops up again I'll take a picture of him with the DSLR. The point and shoot didn't really do him justice.

Heheheh...the middle-top rock looks like a rhino's head that's trying to eat the other rock :D Funny how people in this hobby start off w/ small tanks, and as soon as they set it up, they've already got plans for a bigger tank!! Good start!

you're totally right, it does! I didn't notice that! LOL now I look at my formation and all I can see is a rhino head munchin on some rock.

I'd start even bigger if I could. I have big plans for my reef!

hahaha love hte rhino rock!:D

its a red strawberry crab, i have one of those but I never see him :( they are really cool tho, when i first got mine i could hold him in my hand and he'd just sit there

You've got a great start Laura.
Think of it this way.
The smaller tanks FORCE you to get in the habit of maintaining the tank.So WHEN you do upgrade,its a whole lot easier.:D

+1000000000 to yote on that one!! your water has to be practically perfect... my 50 was so much easier with the water conditions, of course i didn't have much in it yet but this will help prepare you when you upgrade!

What stores are you going to, Laura? I would recommend trying out the stores on tustin ave in orange. There's 5 of them within a couple miles of each other, good variety to pick from. The very best store is Amazing reefs & aquariums on tustin, it's just north of katella on the west side of tustin, next to a massage parlor hehe. Worth cheking out!

Bad store: Brookhurst and Yorktown Tropical Fish store next to the Ebisu market.
Decent-Thus-Far store: Tong's Tropical Fish on Magnolia and Warner
Next store I am trying: One off of Indianapolis and Beach Blvd next to Rite-Aid.

Next time I'm in orange I'll make sure to check that one out! I have some friends from work that live there. I work at Disneyland so I'm up at katella at least 4 days a week. I'll try to go sometime after Christmas. Thanks for the recommendation!

So tomorrow at 2 I'm meeting the guy to pick up the 28 gal for $60. I probably won't have time to set anything up tomorrow or the next day due to Christmas activities but once I do I'm going to use my ten gallon to grow some corals in.

So I have a few questionsss for you lovely, smart, fishy people :D

1. Where do you find the plastic "egg crate" stuff used to cage corals or set frags on?

2. Anyone have suggestions on good lights that will suffice for most/all coral types that won't leave me broke for a week?

3. I'm probably picking up my clowns on Saturday or Sunday. I'd like my next fish after those to be a blenny. Have any favorite kinds? I want one that sifts through sand. :)

4. Adding dry sand to my live sand whilst fish/inverts are in the tank: is that bad or okay?

ouch $60 for a 28g? girl go find a craigslist deal thats worth it! up here at my LFS we can get a 30g for $30 and so on.... craigslist is great for finding larger unwanted tanks that sometimes just need a bit of cleaning up to get em going :)

+1 Sharkie
$60 for a 28 is WAAAYYYyyyyy over priced.You can buy one brand spankin new for about half that.

For the eggcrete,just go to the lighting department of either Home Depot or Lowes.Get the white plastic,not the silver.

For that size tank,look at T-5 fixtures.Their farly cheap as far as reef lights go and run cooler.

If you add more sand,just dont add a whole lot at once and dont spread it out.Just kinda make a small pile in a corner and let the water flow move it around.Dont add more than one cup every couple of weeks.

And since you want a sand sifter,you'll want to look at a goby.But the only ones suited for a 10 gallon arent sand sifters.

I think she was looking at a 28g biocube with some equipment if I recall from another thread. :dunno: But looks like you are on the right track to a nice tank. If you have any questions about stocking the tank, ask here first before you buy. I know it is hard to do since many of use still impulse buy. Welcome to the site:Cheers:

Yeah the 28 she is buying is an all-in-one setup. She posted the ad, and that's a very good price for what the tank comes with.

As for lights -- get a nice T5 setup. It will allow you to keep everything you want.

Back