lawnmower blenny....need his help but.......

garydm

Reefing newb
Well with my nice carpet of algae that grows on the back glass of the DT I was thinking of using a LB to help my problem......The thing I’m worried about is what to do with it once it has used up all its food source....What do you think? Anyone use a fish for a specific purpose

You can supplement with dried seaweed or something like that. Or you can trade it in to your lfs on something else or sell/trade locally to a local reefer.

But I wouldn't even worry about it at this point. Get him and see if he even does what you are expecting him too. Almost every occupant in my tank that was bought to eat a certain type of algae didn't touch it.

Tangs like the blue hippo or the sailfin are good algie eaters, also some of the dwarf angels are better known for their grazing like attitude:Cheers:

That`s the only problem with lawn mower blennies. They are very finnicky eaters and usually once the algea goes they usually starve to death unless you can train them to eat prepared foods. I try to tell folks to get the LFS to feed the tank and see if the blennie will eat before you take them home.

Then you are usually faced with the blenny liking prepared foods better and he wont eat your algae... This has happened to me several times.

My lawnmower blenny (Lenny) would eat anything. He ate the meaty stuff I'd feed the rest of the fish, he ate the algae off the glass and rocks, he ate seaweed sheets. No way was he a problem eater!

well I may try and get one to see what happens....I have been scraping the stuff off but it mucks up my water pretty bad

Mine was always picky. Sometimes he would eat the frozen foods and sometimes not. He got so skinny that he looked like just a head with a tiny body. After a year he disappeared. (boo hoo hahahahah).

Mine only ate the film algae on the glass when I first got him. eventually he started eating anything I throw in the tank. He looks fat and happy as far as I can tell. Some are more picky than others

Back