Leaking electricity from lights?

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Last night I unplugged my refugium/sump light because it felt like it was running hot. When I did I got a very nice shock! This piece of equipment isn't in the water but is still leaking electricity. Does this mean I need to replace it? It was a $50 light specifically for refugiums, and I just looked up the warranty which has already expired.

YES. Don't lose all of fish for a $50 light.

Were you touching the light when you unplugged it?
Were you hands wet?
What else were you touching?
Was there salt creep around?
Where is the power strip located?

It might not have been the light. Everything in our tanks are connected electrically. Salt water is a great conductor. You need to find the source of the shock.

It could have come from the outlet traveled through your hand, up your arm, then to the light housing.

I am not saying it wasn't the light, just saying it might not be the light. You need to find out.

Also, with our tanks, you want to turn off all power before working on them. You just found out why.

The light was plugged in to a 5 outlet GFCI adapter. Other devices plugged in to that same GFCI adapter are a hydor koralia 750 powerhead, skimmer, and small heater. Everything else on my tank is plugged in to a different wall outlet. The plug is one of those larger dc (?) plugs, two prong. The cord to the plug is one where it has a connector in the middle of it to attach to the light. I was unplugging the connector part when I got shocked. And yes, my hands were likely wet - I'd been working in the sump at the time. Its also likley that some water had dripped down on to the connector from the sump since I was moving things around in it for several hours before it happened. There is a very tiny amount of salt on the connector but hardly any. I wasn't touching anything else at the time, but was standing on carpet.

I would gather that the light is fine. Your wet hands must have touched both sides of the power source when you unplugged it. It doesn't take much salt or water to create a bridge between the positive and negative of the power supply. Did it feel like the tingling you get when you put your tongue to a 9volt battery? There is a huge difference between a low voltage DC shock and a house voltage AC shock. Don't ask me how I know :mrgreen:

I would personally keep using it, but next time, make sure your hands are dry and the power is off before touching anything in your tank. My power strip is a few feet away from my tank. I flip the switch off whenever I put my hands in the tank. It is just safer that way.

You don't want to end up killing yourself for $1000 dollars worth of livestock.

Did it feel like the tingling you get when you put your tongue to a 9volt battery?

Ha! See, this is the difference between men and women. I have NO IDEA what it feels like to put my tongue on a 9v battery! Why would someone do such a thing? LOL

When I touched it, it felt like a very strong surge of static electricity and left my fingers tingling for a few minutes after. It was only the side of the cord connected to the outlet that gave me the shock, so it must have happened after I disconnected it. You're probably right that I touched it with wet fingers and thats what led it to shock me. And yes, I suppose I should be better about turning off things in my tank before I do work in there!

lol Im one of those messed up people that actually likes the way a 9 volt battery feels on my tongue :) Why im not sure lol.

I have never put a battery in my mouth before either. Weirdos. :mrgreen:

A legit shock would most likely have made you exclaim.

And this totally sounds like phrasing the Indian customer service representative I talked to when I called my health insurance company this morning would use. :D

But you havent lived until you feel 9 volts! lol :mrgreen: Maybe it had to do with the fact that the majority of my friends growing up were male.

If it was a 120 volt shock, your arm would have jerked back. Plus it was after the transformer, so it would have been DC and a low voltage.

Ok I have been shocked and not just the little nine volt thing I took a full 110 while standing in water...trust me you would know if you got a big pop. When I got popped it burned the cartilage in my sternum. Made breathing and not enjoyable task. Count yourself lucky and unplug before you get wet. Electricity is a unforgiving bitch dont risk it. :shock:

I agree with the others on the level of shock you recieved. Any saltwater on your and and the conductors of the plug would have provided an addition path for electricity to flow, so you most likely got a little leakage current as you were disconnecting the power. I once soaked a canister filter and it gave me a tickle anytime I touched the on/off button. Not only should you turn off your equipment when working, you should unplug your power strip. Apparently they don't like it much when a hose comes loose and floods them with saltwater. I know this is late, but you let the light dry, then clean it really well. Plug it into a different outlet away from you aquarium before using it again. It's probably fine. If not, you will likely hear some sizzling type of sound.

Back