Leave out bioballs???

JustKeepSwimming

Reefing newb
So I'm gathering equipment to set up my first reef tank. I purchased a sump with two chambers connected by an opening at the bottom of the divider that came with a bag of bioballs. I've since read that wet/dry filtration is old technology because the bioballs are too good at their job and produce nitrate too quickly for it to be removed, thus causing nitrate to build up to toxic levels. Should I leave the bioballs out of the sump and maybe put some live rock in that chamber? Any suggestions?:sfish:

Bingo! You have your own answewr.

Leave the balls out and take out any sponge that might have come with the sump. Replace balls with rock rubble and you are good to go!

By sponge do you mean the thin prefilter that sits in the prefilter box? Should I use the prefilter box without the prefilter, or just skip the box altoghether? And finally, should the live rock rubble be submereged below the fill line on the sump, or can I pile it higher if water drips over it? Thanks for the advice!

+1 Nonfamous. Use live rock instead of bioballs. The thin prefilter is usually a sponge like material. You can keep it if you want, but you do have to clean it weekly. So most people just ditch that too. I don't know about using the prefilter or not. Without seeing a picture, I can't tell. The rock should be submerged. It would just waste rock if it is above the water.

Really?

I've hated those bioballs since I owned a pond! I saw those in my sump and though "oh shoot..." (well, not those words really; add a few choice expletives).

I'm so throwing those in the trash tomorrow...

Anyway, to the OP. Yes, nearly all forms of mechanical flirtation head south too easily and too rapidly. You should avoid them if at all possible.

I've attached a picture of my sump. It's made by Eshopps, holds 5.5 gallons when filled to fill line. I have a Reef Octopus skimmer on order. The prefilter is leaning against the side. I can leave it out and have the water run down living rock below the prefilter box, or just take that box out and have water go directly into chamber from hose. Not sure what would be best, and least noisy. Any suggestions for this set-up, please let me know.:sfish:

Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 772
I actually have that exact sump. I don't use it as a sump. Its actually my salt mixing container. It holds ten gallons and works great for me.

Anyway, Pull the egg crate out and put your live rock in that side under the drip plate/return. Don't put any filter media in there unless you are prepared to swap it out weekly. The other side is good for the return pump and skimmer. Depending on the skimmer, you will need to adjust how deep it sits in the water if its an in sump version.

It will be quiter with the drip plate but it is okay to run it without. Whatever you choose.

Last edited:
I know the feeling. It will all fall in place and you will think " why did I find this so confusing?". Keep asking questions. We are all here to help and learn.

Back