Leaving for vacation....

RAYRAY

Tiny Tank Club A+ Member
So it's that time of the year. Heading out for vacation, down to Ocean City Maryland for 5 days. Very excited but nervous about the tank.
I figured I would do all my maintanence on Monday morning right before I leave. I will clean the skimmer, check all my parameter. Top off a little extra just for precaution. I should be set !!! I have a fish sitter so thats good. She will feed the fish once a night for me. They should be good!!!

ANYTHING I MIGHT BE MISSING ??????
:bounce::^::bounce::^:

Yep Im headed for Michigan and Iowa tonight at midnight(long drive=sleeping kids hopefully). See you all next Friday!

Ray Id skip the feedings. Just have her top off to a predetermined tape line on you system and make sure everything is working. Unless she knows what she is doing(experience) a lot of them will overfeed. Sitters just always seem to make mistakes.

Or portion out the food ahead of time and label the containers! When I've had fish sitters, I've put each day's worth of food in a tiny tupperware container in the fridge, labeled with the day it's supposed to be used. That way they can only feed what you've set out for them to feed. Usually saying stuff like, "Put two scoops of food in the tank" will lead someone to put two heaping scoops, plus one extra, just to be on the safe side.

I left my tank for 5 days. I did turn off my skimmer. Just turned in the little air valve at the top to stop the air. I run about 1.025 SG and I just topped it up a bit extra before I left. I have a tape line that I fill too. I filled it about 1/2" high. About 1/2 gallon extra. Came home to hungry fish and about 1/2 gallon low on water. Completely fine except for a little green on the front glass.

Don't sweat it.

I'll be in PA for a week. Left the tank in the hands of my son. I portioned out the food. I used the weekly pill container. They have the ones that pull apart. They're already labled with the day of the week. So all he has to do is dunk it in the tank and fish are feed. Have a top off so all set there. Protein skimmer turned down just a tad. Guess we'll see how it goes when I return.

I just got back was gone for a week. i have a baby shark so i had my bro come and feed him and empty skimmer and fill with water. Worked out great. i left him 2 pages of instrusctions just in case though like to check temp everytime he came over and stuff like that

Im going to ocean city next Friday too. good things to eat there
bahama mama's blue crabs
fishers popcorn
thrashers frenchfries
the surfing snowcone(or somthing like thatt but this place is sooo god)
and more

should I be able to turn the skimmer off, it that is my only filtration ??? besides the live rock and sand??/??

I read an article about tanks and vacations and they said do NOT do all the maintenance right before you leave. You want to do it and then give the tank a couple days to run without a hitch. Its not hard to flip a switch or change something inadvertently when doing maintenance. Also, I would not leave my tank alone for a weekend unless I have the ATO running good too. If you don't have a chiller you may wish to set your AC to come on only if it gets super hot out. I leave the skimmer on. If it overflows back into the tank what have I lost?

got a call the dang skimmer overflowed. Why does it only happen when I go on vacation? Hubby said I could buy a new skimmer. :bounce:

well, I just got home. That week went FAST !!! BUt everything seems great with the tank. The glass needs a little cleaning but everything else seems good !

way too fast yote !!! But It was a great time !!! If you ever gewt a chance to go to Ocean City Maryland, I WOULD TAKE IT !!

Back