LED Lighting

cjflis

Reefing newb
Looking at lighting possibility's recently i have stumbled across LED lighting. Pre-built LED lighting is ridiculously expensive however it seems as if i could make one for about the same as it would cost for a fluorescent setup. Reading forums i have seen Cree are the best LED's for the job. Below is a link to the LED's i have been contemplating. I know where i can get second hand heat sinks and i think all that i would need apart from that is the right power supply and maybe some optical focus. I will also have an actinic bulb.

$3.76 - Cree XR-E Q2 Emitter with Star - Flashlight Parts and Tools

I chose these lights because the bin (WC) means they lie in the 6350-7000 Kelvin range and they are high wattage (3W).
Please advise on whether you guys think this could work and how many of these you think i will need. I'm guessing around 15-20?
Thanks, CJ

Crees are some of the best LED's you can get for reef lighting, so those should work fine. You may also want to look into getting a few blue Crees instead of using Acintic T5 bulbs. My AI LED's should be arriving today, the pucks on these units have one white cree, one blue cree, and one royal blue cree per puck.

Thanks for the reply :) Could you provide a link to the LED's your talking about? And how many of each colour do think i should use if i have a 55 gallon?

Back