Lets talk about shrimp

ReeferRob

Reefing newb
Peppermint shrimp:
I have 2 in each of my tanks and they've decimated the few Aipstasias I had. Dunno if there's a formula for how many, but 2 does well up to a 57 gallon tank. They are the assassins of the shrimp world, they reach into those aiptasias and rip their stomachs out, kinda gruesome but cool. I sat in amazement the other night watching one do his thing wishing the battery in the camera was charged!

Scarlet cleaners:
Used to be my favorites till they went on a spree killing my green bubble coral. I don't know if the coral was on its way out or not, but they were all over it like ugly on an ape. Needless to say they are residing in someone else's tank now.

Saron shrimp:
Cool critters, very secretive with a taste for tridacna clams. Came home on leave to have the wife tell me she watched it rip the innards out of our clam in the 240. When it sloughed the Comet ate it, good fish. :D

Sexy shrimp:
Love them, innocuous as all get out, very hardy despite their frail appearance.

Blood shrimp:
Another one that is very secretive, I love them, but I want critters that I can see once in a while, more than once a month, lol.

Camel shrimp:
Not a good mix with Comets, they think they're a tasty snack, lol. Found that one out after the 4th ones antennae was seen as it was going down the Comet's throat.

Anyone else have other species that they wanna talk about, go ahead. There are so many different species available now compared to when I had my last tank and the shop in the late 90's.

I also don't like scarlet cleaners, they maul corals when you feed...so if you have a reef tank, I would advise against one

I had two Scarlet shrimp that ate my hammer coral. They got to meet my white spotted orange crab Hermes. He loved them!

I have a Blood Shrimp ("Sir Scrimpsalot") who just hangs out in his cave but it is against the side glass so I can peek in on him when I want.

I also have a Coral Banded (Jack White) who I got really small so he wouldn't bother Scrimpsalot. He has molted 5 times now to Scripmer's 1 and is more than double his size. He tries to intimidate everything in the tank but hasn't hurt anything.

I have a Sexy Anemone shrimp ("Mae West") who has tripled in size and just struts around between my hammer coral and RBTA.

I totally forgot about the old stand by Coral banded, my first invert back in 1977. How many of you remember 1977? :D I think I've had 3 different species, regular, blue and yellow. I'm looking at getting a mated pair of regulars and yellows for my tanks.

I totally forgot about the old stand by Coral banded, my first invert back in 1977. How many of you remember 1977? :D I think I've had 3 different species, regular, blue and yellow. I'm looking at getting a mated pair of regulars and yellows for my tanks.
I remember 77 --- I had a Huffy bike and a Stretch Armstrong:D

Back