Lighting for 72" Tank -Fish for Now

Thanks, that sounds good. Ended up getting hold of one of the guys at reefgeeks.com based on your build I believe. The said similar but had a new bulb not on the site yet. Trying the new one which leans toward blue with some daylight and then the 75/25... I guess the good thing with bulbs if you do not like them, it will be time to replace then soon enough.

HELP!!! I bought 4 new bulbs for the Coralife fixture from ReefGeeks. Bought the UV brand bulbs they recommended. They arrived yesterday 1/17. One was broken, but that is not the issue.

When I put the other three in the fixture only one seemed to light up. After trying different positions in the fixture with old and then new bulbs, I discovered a disturbing problem. When I but a new bulb in a socket that works fine for the old bulb, the new bulb would light initially. However it would light with only the connection end burning bright and then within a few seconds the bulb went out. After that occurred, the entire socket seemed to be dead and even the old bulbs no longer worked in that socket.

Of course, I did not fully recognize what waqs happening till my third try. This means three of my four sockets do not even work with the old bulbs. One remaining socket!

Anyone heard of an issue like this? These are UV brand bulbs and the ReekGeek guy says he has no idea. I am a my wits end and my fish have no lights.

I am thinking of selling a kidney now to afford one of the 72" LED fixtures just so I do not have to mess with a used fixture or bulbs!

I was afraid of that. I opened it up last night and also saw one of the wire caps looks like it was burnt out. I think I will try to return this.Back to the lighting search. Anyone need a kidney? Will sell for $4K or trade for a new Solaris 72" LED Light.

I was afraid of that. I opened it up last night and also saw one of the wire caps looks like it was burnt out. I think I will try to return this.Back to the lighting search. Anyone need a kidney? Will sell for $4K or trade for a new Solaris 72" LED Light.

After seeing a set of Solaris LED lights,I'd about rather run PCs.Their not all that bright and you dont get the colors out of the livestock that you'd expect.
Oh I might try a set,IF somebody GAVE them to me free.But I wouldnt spend the money on em.

Why bother,I seriously still think those LED's still need more time to be proven.Save up for a good T5-HO fixture w/individual reflectors and you'll be able to keep anything.

It to me sounds like a ballast problem too.Make sure the bulbs match up to the correct wattage and pin design.

The new bulbs were all correct wattage and pin config. I just think the ballasts were ready to go. I think the light was in storage for some time so maybe humidity got to it.

Since 4K was not an option now, I decided to just go with the Nova Extreme Pro 72" for now. I thin that will keep me going for a while am still new to Reefing, so will be taking it slow anyhow.

As always, thank you all for the advice and comments.

I brought home my new Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 72" last night from my LFS (Shout out to Aquatic Critter, TN for meeting the online price!)

All I can say is wow! What a difference it makes. Especially compared to the 2 bulb shop light I used as a temporary light for the last few days. Fish look great and happy. Of course the down side is my LFS said it should be no problem bringing some corals home in a week or so. I may have to reconsider my plan to wait about a year before I dive fully into the reef.

Thank you all

That is like the tenth comment I have seen from you like that on Aquatic Critter or the Lawyers and Doctors who shop there. If I knew you better, I'd offer you a hug. ;)

Back