Lights and photosynthesis

Captain Squid

Reefing newb
Question:

Tank top or not?

Ive got T5, 2 white 2 blue on my 75 gal reef. Seems I am not getting enough light.
Considered removing my glass top but how to keep the fishes from committing hare kare?

Dont really want to spring for better lighting right now, unless I can get a discount on a divorce lawyer! :frustrat:

Opinions are welcomed! Will be happy to hear how others are tweaking the most of their lighting!

what is the total watts you are putting out? what corals do you have? mushrooms and zoo's don't require much but almost everything else needs at least 5 watts per gallon, I have a site that has some cheep lights that can get you through until everything else is settled, or just spend it all and that leaves less to have to share!!:D

http://www.aquatraders.com

Four T5 bulbs over a 75 is on the low end of things. Unfortunately, you are very limited unless you upgrade lights.

Most people don't use glass tops because they do block a bit of the light. I don't use anything over my tank -- if a fish jumps, they're toast. I've got six cats sitting in front of the tank just waiting!

Only running 216 watts :(

Got the low light stuff, but have a green stylophora thats peeling away. I put it all the way up top now, about two inches from breaking water surface until I figure this out.

Thanks for the link. Also looking at some LED lighting. There are some 12x12 panels on Ebay for around 35.00 A little skeptical though. Dont know if I want to do the MH

Four T5 bulbs over a 75 is on the low end of things. Unfortunately, you are very limited unless you upgrade lights.

Most people don't use glass tops because they do block a bit of the light. I don't use anything over my tank -- if a fish jumps, they're toast. I've got six cats sitting in front of the tank just waiting!

heh yeah my Fat cats are just waiting, as are the bearded dragons and snakes lol

Oh meant to ask you, for the chaeto, how much light is required?

Got the low light stuff, but have a green stylophora thats peeling away. I put it all the way up top now, about two inches from breaking water surface until I figure this out.

Thanks for the link. Also looking at some LED lighting. There are some 12x12 panels on Ebay for around 35.00 A little skeptical though. Dont know if I want to do the MH

The stylo is an SPS coral -- one of the more light-demanding of what we keep. Those LED panels are not strong enough for reef tanks. The ones that are are several thousands of dollars. Metal halides would be fine, but T5 would still be the best way to go. You just need more bulbs. The Current Nova Extreme Pros are 6 bulbs with individual reflectors (IRs). IRs are important because they greatly increase the amount of light that reaches the tank. The regular Current Nova Extremes (not Pros) are 8 bulbs without individual reflectors. Either of those would be fine, and would allow you to keep high-light corals.

Oh meant to ask you, for the chaeto, how much light is required?

Not much at all. It does just fine under a regular 23 watt CFL bulb from the hardware store. I use those silver clamp-on shop lights from Home Depot with a CFL bulb.

Question:

Tank top or not?

Ive got T5, 2 white 2 blue on my 75 gal reef. Seems I am not getting enough light.
Considered removing my glass top but how to keep the fishes from committing hare kare?

Dont really want to spring for better lighting right now, unless I can get a discount on a divorce lawyer! :frustrat:

Opinions are welcomed! Will be happy to hear how others are tweaking the most of their lighting!

Go to Home Depot and get a egg crating from the light dept. You then just have to cut it to fit. Its amazingly light and easy to take off and put back on.

JMO But glass tops not very good for reef tanks.#1 they inhibit gas exchange and evaporation.Both of which are critical for maintaining stable parameters and temperature.#2 they both block out some of the light from your fixture and cause heat build up.

Here are some options that will work to increase the light

a)replace the bulbs with higher PAR(phtosynthetic active radiation).You can get 30-50% more PAR depending on the bulbs.

2)remove the top.Do you have fish that known to jump.

3)If there is no danger of salt and spray getting into the fixture then remove the acrylic shield.

Those are the only options.I would stick with soft corals and LPS coral top half with those lights.It's not really enough light for SPS,anemones and most clams.

Here are some options that will work to increase the light

a)replace the bulbs with higher PAR(phtosynthetic active radiation).You can get 30-50% more PAR depending on the bulbs.

2)remove the top.Do you have fish that known to jump.

3)If there is no danger of salt and spray getting into the fixture then remove the acrylic shield.

Those are the only options.I would stick with soft corals and LPS coral top half with those lights.It's not really enough light for SPS,anemones and most clams.

Any good links to those bulbs?

Yeah I got jumpers. The other day my Yellow Coris jumped out while I had one side opened, she landed on the closed side flopped madly for a minute then fell back in the open side. I took the top last night to see how they behaved, my six line starting doing test runs so i put it back on...for now. Was looking at light diffuser yesterday at HD but was wondering how much light would get lost between the plastic?

It kills a little light but its not really noticeable. I pop them off when I'm home so I can get in there easier for feeding or cleaning. I added a little door to one so I can dump food when I'm in a rush.

Any good links to those bulbs?

Yeah I got jumpers. The other day my Yellow Coris jumped out while I had one side opened, she landed on the closed side flopped madly for a minute then fell back in the open side. I took the top last night to see how they behaved, my six line starting doing test runs so i put it back on...for now. Was looking at light diffuser yesterday at HD but was wondering how much light would get lost between the plastic?

I use to use eggcrete myself.I didn't like how much light was being blocked so I said screw it and went with an open top.Nowadays,I avoid fish that are known jumpers.

Give Reef Geek a call or email on bulb choices.Not only will you get alot more light but you will get more 'pop' from corals and fish.ATI,UV and KZ makes some nice bulbs.

ReefGeek > Lighting > Replacement Bulbs > T5 Fluorescent

Back