Lights Lights Lights $$$ $$$ $$$

RollTide15

Reefing newb
Hey everyone, so again I have explained my set up before but below is the stuff that matters in relation to the different types of lighting I am looking at.

40g Breeder
55lbs Live Rock
2 Ocellaris, 1 Flame Angel
1 Plate Coral
1 Hammer Coral
Lots of Zoas (4-5 different types)
Will be adding Lavender Mushroom & Duncanopsammia Coral, among others

I think I have decided to sell my T-5s and get an LED set up. I also think I have ruled out LED stunner strips as my main source of light too. I would like to go with a full LED system that is programmable and adjustable. I do not care about creating thunderstorms or these insane lighting/weather events that no the fish don't even notice.

I am considering
- Ecotech Radion Gen1: This is obviously the best choice but is VERY expensive. There is a guy locally who is selling a 6 month used fixture (with mount) for $550. I think I could talk him down because that is not that great of a deal and I wouldn't pay that much. Brand new these are $600, which is insane.

- ReefBreeder: Photon24 reefbreeders. I spoke with these guys on the phone today and they seemed really nice. They claim their LEDs are on a higher spectrum than the Radion. Seems like my favorite choice so far.

- Maxspect: It is a 24 inch fixture but it is one of the older models. It is used, comes with the controler and they want $275 for it.

- Ecoxotic: They sell these stunner strips in all different sizes. I would have to build a hanging fixture for it and would have to buy multiple types to achieve full spectrum. This, however, is not ideal since there will be no timer or ability to customize light levels.

Any other suggested options are appreciated. Like I said, I do not need the super high tech stuff. Just good LEDs that will make my tank "pop" and will let me keep most coral types.

Thanks

Have you looked into a DIY set? They've gotten much easier in the last year or so and you can get some terrific bang for your buck.

just putting this out there and i am thinking about doing this but ai selles a upgrade for their gen1 lights the only thing not in the kit is the housing and wires to connect the mother board to the light pucks

If you're pricing out the Radions, have you priced two fixtures? A standard 40 gallon breeder is 36 inches long, you'll want two fixtures to get proper coverage.

Have you considered the AI units? Now that the Vega has been released, the price on the Sol has come down quite a bit. It's controller will let you program the spectrum from basically anywhere from 12k to 20k+

Out of curiosity, why are you not considering AIs or Kessils?

I do not know much about them. Hence why I created this thread, to get other suggestions. But just a quick note people, I do not know that much about LEDs so when you list a fixture please list who it is made by, no abbreviations please. Thanks

The Kessils seem pretty cool, tell me more about them. It seems though they only come in whites and different blues, no violets, reds, etc.

Last edited:
If you're pricing out the Radions, have you priced two fixtures? A standard 40 gallon breeder is 36 inches long, you'll want two fixtures to get proper coverage.

Have you considered the AI units? Now that the Vega has been released, the price on the Sol has come down quite a bit. It's controller will let you program the spectrum from basically anywhere from 12k to 20k+

Well I am pretty sure one Radion would do better than my T-5s but I agree I should probably get 2 but I am ruling these out. I am not spending $1,200 on lighting for a 40g tank. Sorry imo that is outrageous. Ecotech and these other companies are taking advantage of aquarium hobbyists because they know we are addicted and will shell out the money for them drugggz (aquarium).

The AI's are really not much better. I would end up spending close to $900 since those fixtures are only 12in long and I would need 2. But they are better priced that Ecotechs.

Go with a Kessil A350W, That is a tunable light, will give you great coverage, and if you look at the color spectrograph, it is better than the AI's and the Radions.

Just wondering why are you getting rid of the t5 lighting at all? For the start up cost and the growth you get with t5 especially on a smallish tank... its what I went with and am staying with. I know a lot of people on here are really sold on LED systems but to me the costs for set up just seem extreme. Then all the time you spend acclimating corals, adjusting this and that, sweating over is the % better then that one. Maybe I am just not tech geeked out enough yet but shoot...options get my daughter a car or get some light for my tank that I am going to want to f@%k with all the time....and confuse the :pooh: out of my corals...For me a successful reef is one that is stable in all areas, no swings in parameters including lights...Good water good lights and let it grow...K.I.S.S. Thats my thing...:twocents:

Someone on here was having success with one of these:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-TT-AL09-Dimmable-Aquarium-Output/dp/B0092LXQRM]Amazon.com: TaoTronics TT-AL09 Dimmable Aquarium Coral Reef LED Grow Light (120W Output, Blue/White Ratio- 28:27; Two-Year Warranty): Pet Supplies[/ame]

You could try two of them and they'd be light on your wallet.
You only get blue/white, though...no colors so if you're looking for nice cyan or infrared coverage then I still recommend a DIY pendant.

you can run 1 ai on a 36" tank i have
a cheap knockoff i have been running for a year and its more than enough 2fixtures might be overkill

Just wondering why are you getting rid of the t5 lighting at all? For the start up cost and the growth you get with t5 especially on a smallish tank... its what I went with and am staying with. I know a lot of people on here are really sold on LED systems but to me the costs for set up just seem extreme. Then all the time you spend acclimating corals, adjusting this and that, sweating over is the % better then that one. Maybe I am just not tech geeked out enough yet but shoot...options get my daughter a car or get some light for my tank that I am going to want to f@%k with all the time....and confuse the :pooh: out of my corals...For me a successful reef is one that is stable in all areas, no swings in parameters including lights...Good water good lights and let it grow...K.I.S.S. Thats my thing...:twocents:

You and me think on the same wave length. The only real advantage the LEDs give you is visual pleasure. They are really not any better than T-5s for your corals and they are usually not cheaper over their lifetime as so many of them claim (since many of them operate above their optimal limit and thus burn out the bulbs faster). But you can not argue that the LEDs give your tank a stunning visual effect. The T-5s just do not bring out the colors like LEDs. So the LEDs are mostly for me and a little for my corals. But I agree the set up cost of most LEDs are outrageous.

you can run 1 ai on a 36" tank i have
a cheap knockoff i have been running for a year and its more than enough 2fixtures might be overkill

The only problem with the Sol is it is very expensive for only have Whites and Blues. The Vega is only a $100 more and seems to offer far more spectrum colors and way better features.

I bought a tautronics 3 months ago. I have it on 1 side of my tank and my MH and t5 light system on the other side. I like the color pop o get with the tau (it looks way more blue) but the light has more of the sunlight ripple effect under the MH/t5 light.

I'm thinking of getting a reef breeder light with 90 degree optics to replace the MH/t5. I'd go with another tau, but they only come with 120 degree optics and I have coral 30" deep on that side

If what you want is shimmer mh is the best...just has the heat problem..I had a 150 watt mh pendant on my corner tank and it was like having a space heater on in the room all the time. Led shimmer is nice but not as good as the mh. t5 no shimmer which is frustrating to say the least. Now to play devils advocate....what if you added a stunner strip to your t5 set up? Would get the shimmer and can do one that gives you a color pop to your corals...and would cost less...just a idea.

If what you want is shimmer mh is the best...just has the heat problem..I had a 150 watt mh pendant on my corner tank and it was like having a space heater on in the room all the time. Led shimmer is nice but not as good as the mh. t5 no shimmer which is frustrating to say the least. Now to play devils advocate....what if you added a stunner strip to your t5 set up? Would get the shimmer and can do one that gives you a color pop to your corals...and would cost less...just a idea.

That is what a local guy told me I could do. The only problem with that is the stunner strips are non adjustable.

I spoke with a rep for ReefBreeders earlier this week and they seem like they make a decent product. They also offer a 2 year warranty. The only question is will they be around that long, alot of these upstart companies go under and your product/warranty is worthless. But the Photon 24s seem to be pretty cool. The only thing they lack are UV, they just have regular violets. Is UV necessary and does it make the aquarium look better or is UV even visible to the human eye?

I guess all the regular posters on here hate me because I have not gotten that much feed back haha. Anyway, so as far as making your corals pop with incredible color, is it better to go with a combination of whites and different types of blues? Or is it better to get fixtures that have fully adjustable lights in a broader spectrum like White, Different types of blues, reds, greens, and violets?

Thanks

Back