Lights.

Dashtrash400

Reefing newb
Slowly buying things I need for my upcoming reef/fish aquarium and I was going to buy lights next. I was told for corals I will ne at LEAST 4 watts per gallon. I'm starting a 55 gallon. I think the easiest way for me to go without a hood would just be T5 fixtures. I have also been told to shop around and buy nice used things hence craigslist and eBay. Any good recommendations for a 55? Kinda like the coralife 4 bulb fixture which includes cooling fans. Also I noticed some 4 bulb systems don't have fans. Do they need fans or are the T5 fixtures cool enough that you don't need a fan. Thanks

Mike.

My current Power Compacts have two fans integrated into the hood, added heat from any source is not ideal if you are trying to maintain a constant temperature throughout the day/night.

I'd go with a system with fans.

Thanks for the input. And most that I see are as I said two or four bulb systems rated at roughly 54W a piece. 216W enough to maintain corals? Maybe just the lower light ones?

Look for fixtures with independent reflectors. Each bulb has its own reflector instead of one big one over all the bulbs. It increases light output dramatically.

Ok I will def look into it. So the 108W vs the 216W four build. Will both be enough to sustain corals in my 55. I'm assuming not considering the 4W per gallon rule. I bet the answer will be 4 or nothing.

A 4 bulb T5 fixture over a 55 should allow you to keep whatever you want -- but higher light animals need to be placed closer to the top.

Well I did a little shopping and I think I like these the most. It come with 4 lamps the 10K and the blues forgot what they called them and two moon lights. The only thing I'm kinda wondering about is how hard the timers are to set that are on the socket protection because this one doesn't have a digital one built in. Are timers even worth it or should I just discipline myself to turn them on and off. Opinions on these lights are appreciated thanks. Fairly good price and free shipping as well so let me know what u think and wether or not I can get a better set for around the same price.

Coralife Lunar Aqualight T5 Lamp High Output Fixture

Put them on timers its way easier. FIxture looks fine I forgot to look what kind of bulbs is came with or if any? Did you look at reefgeek?

Never mind I just noticed it's a site in itself. I saw that timer and that big analog gauge or adjuster whatever you call it looks difficult. Is it not, I've never seen one in person so not quite sure what is actually on it.

Its really simple, you have to set 4 tabs (the little things in the circle)

1. First set of lights turn on (dawn)
2. Second set of lights turn on (day)
3. Second set of lights turn off (dusk)
4. First set of lights turn off (night)

A lot of fixtures come with two sets of lights built in for the purpose of the having the day effects I described you don't have to have two separate light fixtures.

If the lights you get don't have two plugs, then you would only need to set the first set of tabs.

If your fixture has moonlights (mine do) then the dual fixture has a spot for those as well. They run when the other lights are off.

I've got the dual version of this:

Aquarium Light Timers: Coralife Power Center

Works great. You want a timer, forgetting to turn off your lights could stress your fish, burn your corals, or overheat your tank. Anything you can automate is good :-)

Just an FYI, this power strip is not made to run anything over a 175 watt Metal Halide, if you are going that route. I have dual 250 watt pendants, and had to have Coral life replace the dual timered power strip with single digitals, at their suggestion. I kept blowing up the powerstip becasue of the load placed on it from the MH lighting.

Its really simple, you have to set 4 tabs (the little things in the circle)

1. First set of lights turn on (dawn)
2. Second set of lights turn on (day)
3. Second set of lights turn off (dusk)
4. First set of lights turn off (night)

A lot of fixtures come with two sets of lights built in for the purpose of the having the day effects I described you don't have to have two separate light fixtures.

If the lights you get don't have two plugs, then you would only need to set the first set of tabs.

If your fixture has moonlights (mine do) then the dual fixture has a spot for those as well. They run when the other lights are off.

Thanks that sounds simple. About the moon lights that set does come with some but a question I have about those is do you have to use them. Is it better or worse vise versa or is it just to look good.

Thanks that sounds simple. About the moon lights that set does come with some but a question I have about those is do you have to use them. Is it better or worse vise versa or is it just to look good.

I think its a personal choice, I run them sometimes but typically don't. They look cool, but I feel like the copepods/amphipods prefer the darkness.

Never mind I just noticed it's a site in itself. I saw that timer and that big analog gauge or adjuster whatever you call it looks difficult. Is it not, I've never seen one in person so not quite sure what is actually on it.

I buy my bulbs from them. You can call and talk with them about any questions you might have. They are very helpful.

Just an FYI, this power strip is not made to run anything over a 175 watt Metal Halide, if you are going that route. I have dual 250 watt pendants, and had to have Coral life replace the dual timered power strip with single digitals, at their suggestion. I kept blowing up the powerstip becasue of the load placed on it from the MH lighting.

So does this mean since ill be running 216W total with T5's that I should consider buying a different timer/power strip.

Back