Lights!

OceanCrazy

Reefing newb
Odyssea 36 metal halides arrived yesterday, and extendable legs too big so had t order the other legs.I tested it out just too see how bright they are, and noticed that for that 10 sec it was on it melted the plastic cross bar.

You may have to raise the fixture up some to keep from melting that plastic...undy plastic strip is what's helping to keep the tank from bowing out.

Ok got my mounting legs today , just wanted to know if the t5 High Output Bulb and the DE HQI Bulb 15000K botrh go together as day lights?

The blue (actinic) t-5 bulbs come on first as in the dawn effect, then your mh light come on about an hour later...and vice versa when it's time to turn the lights off, the mh go iffy first, then the t-5 abbott an hour later to simulate the dusk effect. But all lights are on majority of the time together.

Hey Ocean Crazy, How established is your tank? My lights once melted my cross brace, and being very foolish I decided to cut it out completely. I then did some research and realized how bad of an idea that was. There are some acrylic mods you can do to make your own center brace, but if your tank isnt established yet you can contact the manufacturer and they can send you a new frame. I was sent mine at no cost. It doesnt take long to take off the old frame and put the new one on. You will want to empty the water when doing this though.

Just an option for you since the brace has already lost its full strength.

If your tank has a lid, open it up or take it off. Head to Target or Walmart and get one of those small clip-on fans. Clip it to the side or back of your tank, and hook it up to the same timer your lights are on. The fan aimed at the surface of the water will cause more water to evaporate, but will drop the temp quite a bit.

Back