lilreef's 20g - Help with water chemistry?

1+ Your tank seems to be cycling. BTW, are those rocks cemented together? Is the rock resting on the sand or the bottom? Some people have had avalanches in their tank that broke the glass and caused a disaster. Sand WILL dissolve causing what is currently stable rock-work to eventually collapse.

Please look at the two photos at the beginning of this thread.

https://www.3reef.com/forums/general-reef-topics/im-out-done-not-faint-heart-66097.html

The rocks are definitely not on the sand. I put egg crate down, then rocks, then spread the sand around the rocks. When I build my 60g aquascape (ie: more permanent set up), they will be cemented together for sure! I dont need 60g of water/rocks/fish all over my floor!

My numbers have been zeros for 3 days.
I guess I didnt f-up...the tank was cycled, I just think it was the fish/feeding that spiked the numbers....?

Anyway, I am happy with my numbers with the exception of the pH. Still reading 7.8 and not budging. What should I do??

I was not able to get an alk test kit, the LFS did not have them...everything but!

I'm no chemist, so this stuff is going to send me reeling! :(

Help would be appreciated!

The pH is fine at 7.8. It should go up a bit higher once you start doing regular water changes. But at 7.8 it's not going to hurt anything.

Have you started to see corraline growth yet? After a few months you should now be seeing the LR actually starting to grow.

No growth yet. I actually seemed to have some dying off - turning white. I think I had my lights on too long.
they are on now for only about 10 hours per day.
I had them on longer because I was told that having them on longer would help raise the pH. It didnt, and my LR started to turn white.
Biff's suggestion to check after doing regular water changes was bang-on. pH is rising now. (thanks again Biff!)

Back