live rock ordering online?

Cygnus

Reefing newb
Curious about places to order live rock from, as i have already purchased 50 lbs of dry rock and only need a few lbs of live rock to seed it.

i was going to order some live rock from tampa bay salt water however after reading their shipping faq on their website you still have to pay for a min shipment of 100 lbs even though i was wanting to just order 5 lbs of live rock.

and marco rocks doesn't seem to have any live rock available right now.

any other options?.

You are going to pay a huge amount if you just want to order 5 lbs of live rock online. I doubt you will be able to find any place that will sell you such a small amount. Shipping would cost ten times what the rock costs.

Your best bet is to look on Craig's List or go to a local fish store and buy it there. 5 lbs is only a couple or a few rocks.

lovely, that's not what i wanted to hear. i guess i should have read the fine print before i ordered 50 lbs of dry rock. dont have any options but petsmart for a lfs.

I don't think Petsmart sells stuff like live rock -- they only sell saltwater dry goods (at least the ones in my area don't). Petco does sell live rock, if you have one of those nearby. I'm sure there are other people in your area that have tanks that could share some rocks with you.

Actually, the Petco near me does sell live rock, they have it incorporated into their saltwater tanks (and they also show it online so I think most Petco's sell it). It's a bit pricey (I think the "large" pieces run around $20 each, and "large" isn't very large). But if that's your only option and you are only use it to seed your dry rock, then buying one piece should do the job!

Edited: Just read more carefully and see you have Petsmart, not Petco. I don't think Petsmart sells saltwater fish or supplies :(

yeah we dont have a petco just a petsmart, and the petsmart here doesn't carry much of anything for saltwater tanks except like the actual salt and a few other things. we used to have a bunch of pets stores and fish places but they have pretty much all shut down over the last few years. and i dont know anyone with saltwater tank around here either. i guess i will have to do some googling for some places perhaps in the nearby cities.

seen small amounts of dry rock at petsmart. I used a lot of dry rock and seeded it with good LR.

Try Tampa Bay saltwater

Actually, the Petco near me does sell live rock, they have it incorporated into their saltwater tanks (and they also show it online so I think most Petco's sell it). It's a bit pricey (I think the "large" pieces run around $20 each, and "large" isn't very large). But if that's your only option and you are only use it to seed your dry rock, then buying one piece should do the job!

Edited: Just read more carefully and see you have Petsmart, not Petco. I don't think Petsmart sells saltwater fish or supplies :(

Our Petsmart in town has saltwater fish supplies but it is very limited. Our Petco also sells live rock but make sure if you ever go that route to re-cure it even if they say it is already cured. That is just good practice with any live rock. When my gf was just starting out we made the mistake of dropping it in the tank and had a huge outbreak of marine ick. :( No fun.

re-curing the rock wont get rid of the ich, adding the rock cause the fish to become stressed enough for them ich that normal lives commensal with them to overwhelm them.

Back