Live rock Question

that is good the council of knowledge. you are getting there to ryan and you dont even have a tank setup yet. and you can answer many questions that people have. i have to say that i have been in this hobby for a long time and have never found very many people let alone a web site like this were everyone loves to help one another.

the dirty talk is usually brought on by Biff, Reef and myself. We are the pervs here. That is just a bonus. I can only speak for myself, I am in a helping profession and I love to help people. I am also passionate about marine life. What a great combo to be able to direct someone into a great hobby that will beautify their homes and neighborhoods. Lots of fun!!!

-Doc

the dirty talk is usually brought on by Biff, Reef and myself. We are the pervs here. That is just a bonus.

Is it that, or is it that we have just been here long enough to actually speak what's on our minds freely most of the time?

James thank you for the compliment but I have so little knowledge that its not funny I can answer the stuff that is asked repetatively but when its comes to the details Im lost, its a nice compliment though.

Biff as far as speaking your mind I always do. I have a cynical motto that I live by "Screw em if they cant take a joke...screw em if they can. " its a bad outlook on life but a wise old man(Grandfather) told me when I was very young. and going though some rough times, that you dont have to impress anyone in this world be who you are and people will make their choices, and Ive lived by it ever since. I am who I am and it is what it is.

Last edited:
Ryan that is how we learn i remember when i got into this hobby i knew nothing i use to sit at the lfs and just look and ask questions. the one shop that i went to was owned by ben birdsill he has helped write a few marine hobby books. but anyway i am just saying that you are already gaining great knowledge there is lots that i still know nothing about. but at somepoint i will learn it here when it comes up in a topic. we all are teaching each pther new thing all the time and that is one of the reasons the i love this site.

Be a sponge and suck it all in, by the way I forgot to add my buddy Yote in the "Council of Knowledge" and I hope that nobody absent from the Council takes it as a slap in the face they are just the six or seven people that I expect to have an answer for just about anything that is thrown at them everyone else definately contributes when they can.

Sorry for the oversight Yote my bad.

Most live rock purchased has been so mistreated it has a lot of life dieing on and within it when you buy it. This already dieing life will in all likely hood finish dieing after you buy it. Not much other life really needs to die, but often a lot does do to poor methodology of curing and tank cycling. Usually very little life remains but bacteria and some coraline lagae after most tanks are cycled as recommended by most people. There are a lot of Myths about tank cures and minicycles and prevention of them which usually amounts to recommended methods of cycling whick does a lot of killing. Proper safer methods are seldom discussed or recommended on this site or many others. One site that does give tank cycling/rock curing directions which are sensible and guarantee the preservation of nearly all life forms purchased with your live rock is this site http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com

Most of the methods you will have read to cycle your tank and cure your live rock will kill nearly everything that came on or in your live rock. There are many myths about setting up a biological filter system, and most of those myths cause extremely large amounts of ammonia and nitrites to be a part of establishing your system. These gross excesses virtually kill all or nearly all forms of life that came on, with or within your live rock. That is why most people see coraline algae on a rock and call it live rock. Coraline algae and the bacteria you are breeding is chiefly all that survives poorly run tank cyclings and rock cures. It requires very little ammonia and nitrites to cycle a tank, so low levels of both are much better. I could write a long while on this subject because I have taken two different college classes on the establishment of nitrification filtration systems, and I have cycled over a hundred and fifty tanks in the last ten years. Municipal sewage systems run bacteriological filtration systems, and these I have studied. I have had to learn all the equations, formulas, methodologies, theories, practices, lab tests and more. I am not ignorant on the subject. I have had the laboratory view of the methodologies and procedures and seen the fielded results as well. If you wish a method of running a healthy safe cycle where nearly every thing will live through the cycling go to this site and read the information and directions and follow them. http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/thepackage/setup.html

Last edited:
Be a sponge and suck it all in, by the way I forgot to add my buddy Yote in the "Council of Knowledge" and I hope that nobody absent from the Council takes it as a slap in the face they are just the six or seven people that I expect to have an answer for just about anything that is thrown at them everyone else definately contributes when they can.

Sorry for the oversight Yote my bad.

I dont think that I know any more than any body else thats new to the hobby.But thanks for the thought Ryan.

I never speak my mind, I am very driven to please the masses and always say just what eveyone wants to hear. I am kind, considerate, understanding and never stand in judgement of anybody, or any bodies beliefs, or their professions. Hee, hee, hee!

Back