Live rock ?s

LConte17

Reefing newb
first off which would you consider the best live rock? i know there are many differnet kinds like caribbean, Hawaiian Waterfall,Fiji live rock. and ive seen something called Lace Lava Live which i kinda like but dunno if its good er not.

what is the difference between nano size live rock and normal live rock?

in non related live rock question, is the natures ocean water better then salt mixes?

ty in advance,

LC

Last edited:
I think a lot of it is personal preferrence. I didn't like the look of the Tonga rock, and for the amount of Fiji rock, it was pricey. My husband and I chose Caribbean rock, and we couldn't be happier. We've been there, so it added something personal to our tank and well as being pretty to look at. I couldn't find many pictures online of tanks with the caribbean...there's pics of my tank here on the site. I don't think any kind is any better than any other, it's just what you want to look at and how much you want to spend. Fiji is by far the most popular. IMO.

this is what the lace lava looks like

lacelava.jpg

and i found this deal for caribbean nano size live rock on etropicals.com

Caribbean Live Rock

the local shops have live rock mostly fiji, for 9.99/lb is that a good price?

i found this live rock at etropicals.com for the nano pack. which is super cheap.

Caribbean Live Rock

local shops have it listed at 9.99/lb does that seem like a fair price?

here is what the lace lava looks like
lacelava.jpg

i use carribean rocks..ive seen fiji rocks and other pacific rocks and caribean are more brigther..is also cheap to me cause i live near the coast so i can pick the ones i want directly fron the beach..i recomend to use saltmixes cause direct water from sea coul contain harmfull materials from contamination plus shiping hazzards... good luck

Take a look around the gallery, too. Make sure you like the characteristics of the rock. I have carribean in my tank, and personally, I don't like it that much.

I like the Uaniva(a type of Tonga) from Saltycritter.com.Out of all my years this is the most vibrate,most colorful rock I ever seen!In about a month the color really popped with maroon,red,pink, and purple coralline algae.If you call they will send you sizes you are looking for.I will try to post pics in my gallery tonight of some closeup of them.

I have Tonga branch which is pretty good also and Figi which isn't to good.

I used Fiji rock in my latest set up,but have caribean in my 30,To me some of the tonga looks more like twisted tree root.But either way,when it comes to rock,its all just a matter of how much money you want to spend on it and what you want it to look like.

i ordered 30 pounds of the nano caribean rock since it was on sale for 20 bucks for 15 pounds, the nano caribean supposed to be small flat rocks which is what i'm looking for cause i already have some base rock.

thats a good price bobby, couldn't pass it up can't find any cheaper than that right now know one in our club is selling any so this was good price thanks to Lconte17 for the link greatly appreciated.

glad i could help. ill prob order 15lbs of that and get a lb or 2 at teh LFS

was hopin for something different, but seems like some of the stuff i find thats not common, all have horrid shots or photo's which does that kind of rock very little justice

Be aware that lava rock although looking very nice and cheap, you need to be aware that there is no way of telling if it contains any heavy metals, or other impurities. Just a personal thing i guess but I have always shyed away from lava rock. May be just fine to start and down the road may leach impurities into the system. Now if it is man made then might be ok, but if real be careful using it.

Back