Live Rock stacking !!!!

crazy cajun

Reefing newb
Ok im putting my first 90 gal saltwater tank in commision this weekend i have about 100lbs of live rock circulating in a bin at the moment , my question is when i place the rocks in the aquarium is their and special way to stack them? or do yall epoxy them together?? any advice appreciated.
Kevin

Some people may say don't stack on rear glass, but I personally do stack on rear glass, just make sure you leave space for circulation back there. And also, try to put the base rock on the bottom glass instead of the sand.

You can do both. Some study their rocks for a bit to see a general shape they want and then you begin playing lincoln logs with them, trying to figure which rock fits best in what groove an will "lock" in place. People also use the putty to help get the shape they want. Some will even cut their rocks to build shelves.

Just be sure to place your base rocks on the bottom glass and then cover with sand. This will give you a good solid base.

You can also drill out the rock and place an acrilyc rod through them to make them secure, or pvc pipe. You should also consider egg crate on the bottom to pick them up a little. Just stack them with the havy ones on the bottom. Pictures we like....

I just look at my rock like a 3-D jig-saw puzzle.Then I let the rock tell ME how it'll be the most stable and look good.
But all the above methods are great and will work.

Back