live stock selection

bhill27

Reefing newb
im upgrading to a 75 or a 90 gallon tank, probably the 90. i plan on having, 1 snowflake eel, 1 longnose hawk fish, 1 maroon clown, 1 picasso trigger, 1 powder brown tang... will these fish live together good? and what else could i get? or have i reached my stocking limit? thanks for the advice

I personally think there are only a few triggers that get along well with semi-aggressive fish. The picasso is not one of them. The niger, in my opinion, is a better community trigger, and I have heard good things about pink tail triggers as well.
However, I would not put a trigger in a 75 or 90 gallon tank. IMO, they need more swimming room than that. 125 minimum.
I can't remember, you have the eel already, correct?
And are you planning a fish only tank?

+1 Erin,,,also ,,do not get a picasso no matter how big your tank will be ,,they are wolves in sheeps clothing:lol:
mine was perfect for 2 years,then he snapped and is now a holy terror...i can't imagine how much worse he would be in a 75 or 90..
IMO ,i would also pass on the powder brown...

First of all ,i want to really give you credit for asking a lot of questions and not just saying to heck with it,then coming and asking after its too late....
i'd get a dwarf angel(do you or don't you have one now), a royal gramma,and definitely a mystery wrasse,but there are a ton to choose from that will do fine in a 90...and then maybe a valentini puffer,and call it a tank.....not all at once obviously :wink:

triggers are always a risk when putting them into an aquarium ... DO NOT put any inverts into a tank that has a trigger as they WILL nibble on them

triggers are always a risk when putting them into an aquarium ... DO NOT put any inverts into a tank that has a trigger as they WILL nibble on them

Not necessarily. Blue chins, pink tails, nigers and crosshatch triggers usually will not bother inverts. They are the few I am aware of that can successfully be kept in reefs.

I disagree. I have had snails, crabs and a skunk cleaner shrimp in my tank with my trigger for a while now. The snails and crabs were there before him, and the cleaner has been in there for about six months. He gets cleaned regularly.

Pretty fish, but you know it will very quickly outgrow a 55 gallon tank? They grow very fast and need at least 100 gallons to be happy.

Back