Living Reefs T-Shirt VOTING!

Which design do you want to see on your shirt?

• 12 step program #1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • got fish?

• school of fish picture

• get tanked!

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • my favorite school

• maybe we can help #1

• got fish?

• 12 step program #2

• maybe we can help #2

• SEA-sational!

• I am a professional

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • angelfish

• stuck

• fresh fish

• new school

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • we're different (w/ shrimp and algae)

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • love blows

• celebrity quotes

• coral reef scene

• tang police

• got crabs?

• we're different (w/ corals, shrimp and snail)

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • got questions?

• my artwork is in my tank

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey, you posted it in a thread. When you created your LR account, you don't remember reading the fine print that said you agree to give away all rights to any images you post on LR? :mrgreen:

Ah yes... the fine print. :scratchch
BUT... i only posted a low-res jpg. We need to send them the high res vector illustrator artwork.
fuck.gif
:D

You know, if we put the design up on a site like zazzle.com or cafepress.com then everyone can pick their own shirt and yet still have the very cool graphic done by dennis. You can even get tote bags, bumper stickers and shoes.... Also, one person wouldn't have to do all the work and fill out orders. Seems a lot easier?

C

At places like that the shirts are processed using a direct to garment process which is never going to match the quality of a screenprinted garment.
BUT... it may be worth a shot for something like this for the reasons Catherine mentioned. Maybe a couple of people can try it out and report back.

I know a lot of organizations put their stuff on those sites because of the convenience. I have several items from zazzle Zazzle | Custom T-Shirts, Personalized Gifts, Posters, Art, and more and from cafepress Custom T-Shirts, Unique Gifts, Posters, & Personalized Mugs | CafePress and I like them. How do you know the difference between a direct to garment process and a screenprinted garment? I have had stuff screen printed before and when I put my cafepress or zazzle shirts next to them I can't tell the difference in their printing.

In my opinion it would be sooooo much easier to use one of those two sites. Everyone could pick their own style of shirt, long sleeved, short sleeved, thick, thin, tank top.... You can get tote bags, buttons, stickers, baby clothes, bibs, shoes... Each person can get the product they want. One of the best reasons is that we don't have to send money or sizes to one person and have them get our stuff printed and then have that person fill orders and mail them out. You can order your shirts anytime and newbies to the site can get one without having to contact one of us. We can put a direct link to our design from Living Reefs. Also, Living Reefs will get a "kick back" each time someone orders our design. Another plus, if you don't like the fit or something else with your shirt, you can b**ch at a company rather than one of your friends...

On zazzle you can even customize your design. You can change colors, which I know was a concern for some, and you can place the design on the front or back of the shirt. I've ordered custom designed keds shoes from zazzle with my oboe on it and I really love them (yes, I'm that nerdy). :)

I'm very happy to order my shirt any way we decide to do it, I'm just throwing out a suggestion.

Catherine

Ya, for this kind of design it should be fine.
It won't last as long as a proper silk screened design, but these dtg techniques seem to be getting better.

I say we give it a go because we have nothing to lose. We can always do a "premium" run of shirts later if enough people are interested. They have American Apparel shirts too (i think) so that rocks. :D

Last edited:
I think we have a good option by having the shirts screen printed and I'm looking forward to ordering them. That being said, here is my opinion about how this should work:

We should make this a yearly contest.

Each November we will start a Living Reefs Shirt Design Thread and vote in December.

The winner will have her/his design officially sanctioned by Living Reefs and the design will be placed at a site like CafePress or Zazzle. There will be an official link to the design prominently displayed somewhere on the Living Reefs site.

The proceeds from this endeavor will be split 50/50 between Living Reefs and a Charity that supports Ocean health or ocean awareness. This charity will be different each year and will be chosen by the winner of the contest. For example, this year Dennis' design won so the proceeds of that design will be split between Living Reefs and a charity that Dennis chooses for all the sales made in 2010. There will be an accounting issue with the actual donation of the money but that can be worked out with Ian easily enough.

I also think the design of the shirt should include the year, in this case 2010, and it needs to include Dennis' name (or avatar or username or whatever he chooses).

Whatever the decision weather it's yearly or just this one time, screen printed or if we use a third party online site, I think we should all work together to make sure one person isn't burdened with All of this unless that person is somehow compensated for their time and efforts.

Again, I'm happy to do it however we want, just throwing in my :twocents:

Catherine

Let's do it!!! Finally! When can we order. Who's going to set this thing up? Biff is gone for 5 days so maybe something could happen since she's not in charge. :lol: :mrgreen:

Let's do it!!! Finally! When can we order. Who's going to set this thing up? Biff is gone for 5 days so maybe something could happen since she's not in charge. :lol: :mrgreen:

Be afraid, David, be very afraid! You must trod carefully or incur the wrath of Biff!

The only issue there is that Living Reefs can make (more) money by having them printed and selling them directly from the site; where as, on sites like zazzle, they charge $18-20 for a shirt and toss you a cut like 15% from sales. I used to do designs for a local surf shop and between the bargain shirts we got, and using a local printer, we had shirts that cost us $3 to make and would sell easily for $15, a 500% markup. As far as ease, those would definitely be the extremes, so it just depends if the plan was to do this so everyone can have a shirt or if it is meant to assist in the site's operating costs.

i think we can do both mark them up a bit and give ian the rest of the money. even if the profit id 5 bucks a shirt that will still add up for operating costs to the site

Back