Looking for really pure muriatic acid (aka HCL)

bradleyheathhays

Reefing newb
I'm bout to lay muriatic acid to some really tough hard water stains that so far vinegar hasn't gotten out, although a little CLR has. The dab of CLR was just a test to make sure that this was indeed hard water stains I'm dealing with instead of something like etched glass.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but (new to aquariuming) I'm assuming that the only residual effect from using the HCL acid would be that I would need to do some subsequent pH balancing. Although I'm sure I'll do some serious rinsing after.

So, where do I go to get about a gallon of decently pure HCL acid? I don't want to use the stuff from a hardware store meant for cleaning driveways. I'd rather use something in a rather pure form that won't leave behind anything harmful.

Thanks

Check your hardware store. Muriatic acid is used for cleaning sidewalks of rust and grease stains. If you do use it, wear proper gloves, and a face shield with glasses underneath it. If you get a drop on your skin, it will burn it. If any gets in your eye, you might go blind.

Read the label. If it has other ingredients in it besides that and water, research those ingredients to make sure they can be removed.

Back