Looking to replace lights...

dskirtech

Reef'n The Day Away
I need help (big suprise eh?)

I currently have:

1 - CoraLife 72" (CF Whites & Actinic / 384 Watt)
2 - CoralLife 24" (1 T5 White, 1 Actinic (each)

I would THINK that is PLENTY of light for my 100. Lights sit on the Glas cover of the tank.

The Large CoraLife has given me FITS since I bought it. I am looking to replace the damn thing with something else.

What do you guys reccomend? I would LOVE to suspend the fixture above my tank. Are Metal Halides really THAT much better? or are the CF at that wattage ok?

Yall Guide me to some options.

cf lights suck for corals unless you have a ton of light and i mean a ton of it.
look into a good set of t5's how long is your tank?

MH really are THAT much better :P

I would really recommend getting away from from CF/PC lighting.... they're actually decently inefficient, and their ability to penetrate the water really leaves a LOT to be desired. (They scatter a lot...)

A nice T5 setup would be a great choice.... many people on here do the Current USA fixtures, which are pretty decent. However if you're wanting a nice hanging fixture, I would look into one of Sunlight Supply's setups such as the Tek-Light or New Wave or even the Sun Blaze. They're great fixtures for a good price, and they come without bulbs so you can choose high quality bulbs of your choice.

If you're looking for an upgrade that would be the be all and end all... then I would definitely look into MH. The downside is that the MH fixtures are pretty pricy. Therefore I'd instead look at doing a couple pendants such as the Lumen Brights, and suspending those above your tank with a nice 20,000K bulb! That would be my personal choice.

I know a guy who on a six foot tank did three exposed lumenarcs attached to a metal rod suspended above his tank.... omg it looked amazing.

Just some ideas. What are you planning to keep in the tank, and what are the dimensions?

I really like the Tek Light....

If my aquarium is 72X18X19... would I need a 72" light if I am planning on suspending it?

Also, for those of you suspending fixtures... what are you all doing with your cables?

I really like the Tek Light....

If my aquarium is 72X18X19... would I need a 72" light if I am planning on suspending it?

Also, for those of you suspending fixtures... what are you all doing with your cables?

I would do the 72" fixture, yeah. And the cables hang down on the back unless you've got plug-ins on the ceiling :P

Ok Ok Ok... looking like MH is going to be my way to go...

I wanna do an assortment of LPS and SPS

if you're considering SPS, then I would definitely go MH. Most of the SPS guys who switched to T5 ended up going back to MH :P

If you want a KILLER MH setup go with:

3 x Lumen Bright Mini Pendants
1 x Blue Wave 7 Ballast
1 x Blue Wave 3 Ballast
3 x 250W Radium 20,000K SE Bulb

That's a ridiculously awesome setup. Radiums are amazing bulbs, and those Blue Wave Ballasts will run them properly at ~310W and give a really nice crisp white, with a great touch of blue (similar to a Phoenix 14k). Amazing setup.

If that's not your style (those ballasts are a bit pricy.... and besides the Blue Wave 7 weighs 46lbs.) Then grab a Coralvue 250W dual ballast and a single 250W ballast, three Reeflux 20,000K's (or try the BlueLife SPS bulbs) and call it a day.

Thanks Man!

You guys have once again made me realize I need to step back, look at everything out there and build what I need.

NDEPRATT.... Do you sell these setups and where could I see this type of setup in action?

I realize I am looking at dropping some major coin here... obviously I would like to save all I can, but I only want to buy a set of lights once... so I will pay for that security up front...

Thanks again

if your handy and you know it, build a canopy (clap clap)

hehehe
i'm not that far along yet, but i'm allways reading about lighting cause i know i'm gonna wanna do some corals or something of the like when my tank ages enough, i'm really a fan of zoos, and i'll eventually wanna get an anim or 2, but thats prolly about it...

i actually built my own light fixture outta a ballast, some bulb holders, and some alum sheet metal i had. Its not pretty, but its gettin the job done till i can get my new stand and canopy finished. then i can put whatever lighs i want in it...

Back