Lost 'Fang' the Striped Blenny..

DAvis

Reefer Madness
A week ago I noticed an uncharacteristic 'perch' for him. Normally, he torpedo's around the tank, stops, hovers, darts left and right, and sleeps in a nook high in the rock. Now I see him right in the middle of the tank on the sand in front. There were no signs of bullying, but I noticed his back half was skinny and discolored. I check all the water parameters. All seem good (NH4, NO3, PO4 @ or around 0, Ca - 500ppm, KH 7 - 8 dKH) Salinity, pH, and temp stable at 1.025, 8.2 and 78F, respectively. In a day or two he was eating and swimming rather well! Poking around rock, hovering, darting as usual.

A week goes by and his color is better, still eating, tail is still thin. Friday I didn't see him. Yesterday I found him dead.

What happened? Could he have been stung by one of the LPS? Can their teeth overgrow? I did notice he would only eat ova and spectrum tiny pellets, he wouldn't touch mysis that he used to gobble up. Is this a problem with fanged blennys? I hope I didn't starve him. Any thoughts?

I think the only pic I have of him from his happier days is this (not so good pic) with tank mates. They all got on famously. Photo is about 6 months ago.

5608030670_10e7f0ce9f_b.jpg

I don't think it was anything you did wrong...he may have been sick (viral infection, etc) or anything, and was trying to fight it off. Sometimes fish die for reasons we cannot determine. Sorry about your loss.

Thanks all! I appreciate your concern. Just can't figure his overnight decline. One morning he was eating and tooling about, hours later his color weak and resting. I will never know...

I recently bought one too, about a week ago, he seemed so alert and healthy very eager and quick to eat, curious and swam steadily. Then one evening he began hiding in a corner breathing fast, then by later he couldn't swim upright and died at night.

I have 6 other fishes and all were healthy and swimming, maybe we got a bad batch? when i scooped him out and held him in a napkin his skin gave off a faint dark green ink stain?? normal? mucous coat? or maybe chemicals when it was caught?

Someone help i really enjoyed his curious and steady nature, will prop buy a new one soon.

Back