Lots of equipment choices....

You should go fo the biggest size tank that you can fit in your stand. With refugiums the bigger the better

What do you think about my short list of equipment so far. I am looking at a CPR CS202 overflow box. It is rated at 1500gph. Is this too high? A 800w JBJ true temp Titanium heater with controller.The TOM suction pump for the overflow box.

Im also considering the Hydor 4 way controller. Id also like to get 4 controllable powerheads. However im not sure how much movement i need. I know from reading I need lots of movement and some areas of low movement.

This is what I have so far. I believe that i am going to build a refugium. I have a total of 46wx20dx26t under the aquarium.

Oh yea..... Biggest question. What skimmer would be good. I know Id like to get one rated for 300 to 400 gallons. But there are so many to pick from.

You should look at the octopus skimmers, they are highly recommended. I'll be picking one of those up in a few months when I upgrade mine. And for the heater, I think you'd be better off getting two smaller one instead of the one large heater. That way if there's a malfunction on one you have the other as a back up

You should look at the octopus skimmers, they are highly recommended. I'll be picking one of those up in a few months when I upgrade mine. And for the heater, I think you'd be better off getting two smaller one instead of the one large heater. That way if there's a malfunction on one you have the other as a back up

Ive seen alot about the Octopus and i like what im reading, but there are so many different levels of skimmers that its confusing. They have the needle/pin wheel, the recirculating, the extreme and cone.

I may look and see about getting two 500 w JBJ heaters or an equivalent heater.

The CPR overflow box rated at 1500gph isn't to much.As far as the different Octopus skimmers goes-all will get the job done.The cone from them and other companies seems to be gaining popularity.I'm not familiar with Hydor's wavemakers but there are plenty of them on the market,some much cheaper and many functions as well.There are also controllers that have wavemaker function as well as controlling lights,ATO systems,pH control,salinity control like Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Elite and Lite.

I have an Octopus recirculating skimmer. Recirculating skimmers sit outside the sump, on the ground. So they need an extra pump to draw the water out of the sump. Unless this is what you are specifically looking for, don't go for a recirculating skimmer.

With the recirculating skimmers, you can plumb it so the overflow goes directly into the skimmer though. right?

I guess you could, but mine is a different model and isn't capable of that (probably because it's a much bigger one). I still think you may have a hard time getting the skimmer to work if you can't control the flow rate from the overflow.

You could plumb it with a line off (or from) your over flow line, but you would need a ball valve to keep to much display tank water from getting to it. Just be sure NOT to restrict the flow on the main overflow line to your sump.

So which one would be a better skimmer? The in sump or the recirculation skimmer? Or are they the same quality just different advantages like more room in the refuge if you use a recirculation skimmer?

Also if i have a overflow with 1500 gph i take it i need a return pump with at minimum 1500 gph as well? Or can i have one thats 1200 or even 1000 gph?

I like an in sump skimmer if you have room. If something goes wrong and it starts overflowing then the sump will catch the over flow and you won't have a flood.

So the sump not only has to hold the water from the overflow and return lines but also the skimmer.... That can add up to alot of water if the power goes out.

Back