Lots of equipment choices....

As long as things work, you can buy anything used. Lights, skimmers and pumps are always a good buy used since they are so expensive new. Again, they have to work correctly to be considered a good buy!!

If you want to buy stuff like a TDS meter or a refractometer used, you can, but be sure to buy some calibration fluid for them.

I guess the only things I wouldn't buy used are additives and test kits, unless you can see stamped on the bottles that they haven't expired.

With lights, my biggest worry is the ballast. If i were to buy a used fixture id replace the bulbs right off..... The ballast is a little more questionable. How long do they last?

Well I was just curious because i just read a post about why water siphons back into the tank when the power goes out. And i thought, and have seen, that a check valve would help on the return side just not the supply side.

An even better method to break the siphon on the return side,is to drill 3/16 hole in the PVC just at the water line in your display.That way as soon as the pump quits,it sucks air and breaks the siphon.

Back