Low Calcium reading

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
Okay, pulled test water today. Over the last 8 days I have done a 120% water change trying to rind myself of the cyano plague. All seems to be well at this point. Test water showed:

SG 1.0245
pH 8.3
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 0.0 (YAY!!!!!!!)
Phosphate <.25 (Yeah, why do I keep testing for this. These tests SUCK!)
Ca 360

My Ca has been running in the 440 - 480 range. This is the first time I have bothered testing for it since the cyano battle began. I am running a GFO reactor. Would this cause a reduction in Ca? I'm also now running filter socks. Would this effect the Ca? I figured, with all the new salt water, that the Ca would be high if not in my normal range. Help me understand whats up.

Just for giggles, i tested my RODI water for Phospahtes. Tap water in was 420 ppm, RO out is at 2 ppm and DI out is 0 ppm. I STILL tested positive with my Phosphate test kit! :frustrat:

Running Instant Ocean (Purple) and have been since day one. Once I use up this bucket of it, still have 1/3 left, I was going to change over to the Instant Ocean Reef salt. (Orange)

I currently use Instant ocean reef crystals, but, before that i used the Instant ocean marine i believe its called (purple label) After water changes always had my calcium in the high 400's 480-490.

Red Sea Coral Pro won Marine Depot's salt mix of the year. I'm happy with it, though I'll be switching to Red Sea Salt (not coral pro) after this runs out as I'm adjusting down to NSW levels.

I've used the same salt from the start. I'm wondering why my readings are so much lower now. I will be changing to the IO Reef salt next time though. Oh well, just another mystery to solve.

Oh, i know why. Some times the buckets get layered with the components in the salt mix. So the top part of the bucket will have a higher reading in something than the bottom. For your next bucket, make sure you roll it around on the floor for about 10 minutes to get the salt mixed up better.

Back