low light corals, high output lights

hamsweat

Reefing newb
Does anyone have experience or wisdom to offer on growing corals that prefer low light in tanks with strong lighting? The ideal solution for me would be some kind light filter that decreases the intensity of light in part of the tank, so you could have high- and low-light corals in the same tank. There are neutral density filters for cameras, which makes me think that there are coatings or materials one could put over some of the lighting to tone it down for this purpose, but camera companies are not likely to be open about their composition, and even if they were they are likely to be beyond the hobbyist's capability.

Not sure what you mean by a low light coral. I have lots of non-photosynthetic corals (Sun Corals, Gorgonians) and they are not affected by the light (i run a 6x54W T5). Corals that don't require a lot of light to thrive are not necessarily affected adversely by strong lighting (mushrooms for example). Some corals like carnation and chili corals are adversely affected by high light. I think a mesh/lighting filter is overkill - generally if you keep those corals near the substrate that is sufficient.

If you are keeping carnations (or similar corals) you can arrange your rockwork so you have a overhang (you can get dry marco rock for this) and put the corals under the overhang.

thats true Noy when i used my mh lites it was still to much my tank is17 inches deap so i made a shade spot with the screen and fishing line

Back