lr questions

knothole

Reefing newb
i bought a book complete marine guide, can't remember by who at this time. it was saying for more stable lr it can be drilled and use dowels. just wanted to know if anyone on this site has done this or any other method. also have question about curing lr? if u buy seeded lr from lfs it is good to go right? no need to cure?

by seeded lr you mean cured live rock? and if it is cured then yes it can go right in the tank, but if your buying your rock for the initial setup then there is no need to get cured lr right off the bat unless it is from a fellow reefer because uncured lr and even base rock is way cheaper then lr from the LFS.

it was saying for more stable lr it can be drilled and use dowels. just wanted to know if anyone on this site has done this or any other method.

I've never done it but my lfs, who maintain a lot of tanks all over the Northern VA area, do that a lot for their clients when they aquascape. When I was looking for lrs to buy, I noticed a couple of big chunks with smooth holes right through and they explained what it was used for. They did that instead of using that green tape stuff (I forget what it's called), because the tape stuff made it harder, if not impossible, to rearrange the rocks.

I dont use anything to hold my rock together.Maine because theres going to come a time when our gonna have to move a piece or 2.
Also,with enough cured liverock,its possible to completely skip the cycle(just dont count on it).

Back