LTA and their Health

bwilhite

Reefing newb
I have had an LTA for a few months now and he seems to be growing and looks good. I always heard that their mouth should be closed. When I approach my tank that is the 1st thing that I look at and always worry if his mouth is open or closed and I may be worrying for nothing. I have a basically a FOWLR tank with some Leathers so my nitrates are not always spot on but I change the filter socks every couple days and do a 20% water change every 2 weeks. Here are a couple of pictures of the LTA so anyone out there that has a lot more experience with them can let me know if his mouth looks normal. He is sticky and doesn't move around and eats.
LTA.JPG
LTA 1.JPG
LTA.JPG
LTA 1.JPG

Does it's mouth always look like these pics? Being a FOWLR, what kind of nitrates are you seeing before your water changes? What kind of nitrates are you seeing after your water changes? Are you feeding it, what and how often?

Looking at your pictures the mouth is not gaping open like you would see in a really stressed anemone. It's not as tight as I would like to see it either but that could be because it just took a poop or some other reason besides stress. It has good color, it is sticky to the touch, it's inflated and isn't moving about the tank so it seems pretty content. If you see more deflation, bleaching, mouth gaping wide open, detaching from it's anchor point then there is more reason for concern.
Very nice specimen!

Thank you for your feedback. I just had a water change yesterday and my nitrates are currently about 40. Too high. I added some Prime. I am feeding it every other day but the clown feeds it too (and sometimes steals from it when I feed it) I usually feed it a bite of silversides or shrimp or mussel. I have seen the mouth closed but usually it is open a bit. I try really hard not to over feed but with Triggers and Tangs it is hard.

Sounds about right, I've had my LTA for 3 years now and he's always got his mouth open to about the width of a pencil.

You have got the anemone through the shipping and acclimation process which is a huge positive.

Although nitrates aren't ideal healthy anemones can tolerate some especially those that have been cloned in tanks. IME, one of the biggest things is avoiding big parameter swings as they don't tolerate that as well. Proper lighting, flow, and consistent parameters make anemone keeping an easier task. Good luck!

You have got the anemone through the shipping and acclimation process which is a huge positive.

Although nitrates aren't ideal healthy anemones can tolerate some especially those that have been cloned in tanks. IME, one of the biggest things is avoiding big parameter swings as they don't tolerate that as well. Proper lighting, flow, and consistent parameters make anemone keeping an easier task. Good luck!

His mouth is closed today so from what you said I realized that I had done my water change and cleaning the day before and added some purple tech, Fluval Magnesium and Seachem Marine Buffer. I added the dosage based on my tank size but going forward after the water change I will start adding it in smaller doses and stretch it out over a week or so. Thanks Greenman and Nick.,

Barbara

Back